1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amazing Double Bass pieces

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by AlphaMale, Oct 3, 2008.

1. AlphaMale

AlphaMale

Oct 30, 2006
    Ventura County
    Preferably classical but jazz would be good too, especially Mingus.

I would like to hear some amazing classical double bass pieces and jazz ones too. I feel most fundamental music is written for double bass thats why I want to hear more of it.

Any Bottesini? Dragonetti? or any pieces?

2. AlphaMale

AlphaMale

Oct 30, 2006
    Ventura County
    Bump!

3. neilG

neilG

Jun 15, 2003
    Ventura, CA
    I'd hardly put Bottesini and Dragonetti in the "amazing" category as music, but there are some convincing performances of all kinds of music on Youtube you might check out. Just type "double bass" in the search box.

4. that'll just get you metal drummers. Try youtubing your favorite bassist, or start with Gary Karr, or Borguslaw furtok and then go crazy with the related videos. Theres also an awesome Gary Karr video on Jason Heaths bass blog www.doublebassblog.org

5. neilG

neilG

Jun 15, 2003
    Ventura, CA
    Oh, I'm sure Alpha can scroll through and figure out what's what. You don't want to miss some fine playing by relatively non-famous players. Even a couple of good students, not to mention the really laughable atrocious crap that can also be informative. Not to mention "other": :)

6. wow that dude is insane!!

7. manutabora

manutabora

Aug 14, 2007
    Iowa City, IA
    Koussevitzky (sp?) concerto, also I remember some of my bassist friends playing a piece by Paganini, a theme and variations on the G string...
    By the way, I'm not a double bass player, I play electric, but my main instrument is violin so I've been around good double bass players quite a bit :bassist:

8. AlphaMale

AlphaMale

Oct 30, 2006
    Ventura County
    I was looking for some Sergei Koussevitzky I just don't know what to get.
    What are some of the most acclaimed double bass pieces and performance?

9. AlphaMale

AlphaMale

Oct 30, 2006
    Ventura County
    And I also find that psychobilly slap wanking pretty atrocious also. haha

10. Start here:
    and pick which ever ones look cool.