Amazing Engelhardt Setup!!

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by justinmj, Aug 5, 2001.

1. justinmj

Jul 29, 2001
    Hi all,

Just wanted to share a great experience with everyone:

I bought an Engelhardt Supreme ES-1 bass from Bob Gollihur. He was great...had it to me in a flash, great price, tons of useful advice, etc. I also bought some cool accessories from him - K&K Bass Master Pro, bag, stand...

Per his advice, I went out and found a reputable local luthier to help me set it up. When I got the bass, it came to me in fair setup...the instrument itself was beautiful and the tone was decent.

Here in LA where I live is this luthier named Lisa Gass. Her shop (Los Angeles Bass Works) is completely bass heaven...incredible array of instruments everywhere you look, heavy repairs going down, etc. Total feast for the eyes and ears in there; she has some AMAZING stuff for sale, by the way.

Anyway, she very kindly advised me, with no remote hint of snobbery, even though I am the prototypical electric pro guy moving over to the URB. She's so cool - really takes her time with you and has saintly patience for whatever questions. So we looked over the bass, I told her how I intend to use it, gave her a set of D'Addario Hybrid Mediums, and she gave me an estimate and told me to call her in about 4 days.

One day later, the bass is done due to a schedule fluke. Come on in and check it out, she says! Lucky me...I roll in there and I've got a perfectly shaped and dressed fingerboard with the perfect radius, super high-quality bridge with adjusters, a re-set sound post, a rattle-free endpin, new strings, and more. It ended up being all around $470; perhaps not cheap, but such quality and care in the work. Seemed like an absolute bargain to me.

Anyway, the bass is now TOTALLY different. It sounds hugely more expensive than its actual cost, with big round fundamental in the notes, lots of carry, sustain and "mmmwah". It plays like butter up the entire neck, feels right, etc.

Thanks for letting me share that, it worked out great! I'm off to start studying and woodshedding.
  2. ...proving the point that the aggregate effect of many small adjustments can be huge. That's why set-up is an art in itself, and no do-it-myselfer can get the results of a luthier.