Amazing Grace, little help please

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by slappinandtappi, Jan 28, 2002.

1. I am learning amzing grace, i have the notes but i do not know which G to start on, that sounds the best, i am farely knew to bassing so what string and fret number should I start on??? thanks for the hlep.
  2. E.O.M.

Dec 7, 2001
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Are you planning on playing this in a band situation? If so, then start at GG, or the 3rd fret of your E string. You'll cut through the mix more well than you would if you played higher.

However, if you're playing solo, then it's really up to you. Play as high as you want, or as low as you want.

My .02
  3. I am singing it myslef and playing it, so i guess whatever sounds good for me. my problem is i think i have the right notes it just does not sound right no matter what i do. any suggestions. thanks.
  4. So what are the notes?

By the way I am stunned that I picked out the right starting note when I replied to your last thread, maybe there is hope for me. :D

By the way, I don't really know that much but when I know I am playing the right note but it sounds too dull I'll try playing it on two different strings to get more of a Choral sound.
    For instance I would play the G on the E string and on the D string, letting them ring together or sometimes let the E string ring while I finger the D. Someday I’ll know the terms for what I just said, I hope.
  5. So are you referring to the traditional version or the "House of the Rising Sun" version... as done by the Blind Boys of Alabama?
  6. the first notes go G B C G G GFE D D E F.
    I do not know what version i am playing, just the regular one. thanks
  7. Sorry, I'm not gonna be much help... the way I do it is: A C D F A C E E A C D F A E G A. Obviously this is over simplified... do whatever feels good... if it's in the groove it's right!
  8. JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    If you're playing in the key of G,maybe you should start with a D.
  9. Swing that Thing!
  10. Sounds good man, thanks for the help.
  11. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000

That would be called "octaves" there, Mike.:):)
  12. JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    I do it unorthodoxically too,I play in E(my voice is low)and we do it in "4" instead of three with a slow bluesy shuffle.But I keep the melody notes pretty traditional.
  13. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Ah the wonders of Finale! Here's the music folks, I'm 99% sure it's correct, but it was late when I transcribed it from treble clef and dropped it into Finale.

14. I play it starting on an A (D Maj) that way it's easy to play it using harmonics a-lah Victor Wooten

Something like this - I may have typed it wrong but you should be able figure it out if its wrong.

(All notes Harmonics)