Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

amazing grace tab

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by rashbeep, Nov 26, 2005.

1. rashbeep

rashbeep

Jul 15, 2005
    Toronto, ON
    Hi guys, I was wondering if you ppl have a good tab for Victor Wooten's Amazing Grace. I've found one here:Here but I find it incomplete. I'm looking for a tab that tabs everything even the slapping part (if you dont know what I am talking about click here )

Any help appreciated. :help:

Edit: Also can anyone tell me how I am to do the mutes in between the song?????

2. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

If you're seriously interested on studying Vic's stuff, this book will be your best investment.

Hope this helps.

3. The book does NOT include the slapping part.

4. rashbeep

rashbeep

Jul 15, 2005
    Toronto, ON
    damn.. i really wanted to play the whole thing for the upcoming talent show i have. oh well guess i'll just play without it it's damn good nonetheless.

edit: also could someone tell me how he does the mutes in the part wheere he starts to play the funky part.

---[5]--[5]--[5]------------------------
    ---[5]--[5]--[5]--[5]-[5]-[5]------------
    ----3--- 3---3---[5]-[5]-[5]------------
    ------------------3--3--3--------------

he does some cool mutes to make it sound funkier but im not entirely sure how to do them. Help please???? :help:

5. i kind of just slap my hand against the strings while keeping it in the same position

6. no offense but if you cant seem to figure out how to mute strings whilst playing harmonics on top of fretted notes. i dont think you should play it for your talent and save yourself some trouble. hell ive been working on more love since last Dec. and i feel that im not that rready. although i am a perfectionist when it comes to learning other peoples songs thats why i dont learn them. i just take some ideas and launch from there. those [5]'s are harmonics and LH and RH mutes and dead notes are required while playing the song itself. Good luck though

7. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    He does a performance of 'Amazing grace' on his 'Bass day 98' dvd, the muting is mainly his thumb and his fingers bounced on the string, with the left hand doing a mute, (sorry it may not be explained well) get the dvd! ;)

8. its been said that he plays on a tenor tuned bass, but i cant see that working hiting those harmonics

9. on the bass day 98 dvd he uses a standard tuned bass.

and on the Bela Fleck dvd he uses a tenor bass.

10. it had been my previous belief that a tenor bass was tuned in 5ths, one octave below cello, CGDA, however after view a tab of wooten's more love tuned ADGA# it claims that is tenor tuning, which is which?

11. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

A four-string tenor bass is the same as a six-string minus the two lowest strings, so it's tuned (lowest to highest) ADGC. Basically, Vic tuned his bass with an A# (Bb) for this tune in order to get the chords he plays with harmonics when strumming. Haven't studied the piece thoroughly but as far as I've seen, those chords can't be played with standard tuning (for a tenor bass).