1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Amazing High-Speed Video of Bass Strings Vibrating

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PlayTheBass, Aug 2, 2012.

1. PlayTheBass

PlayTheBass aka Mac Daddy Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
  2. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    The music is and the player are at normal speed ...

Below the video they wrote :

"Frequency of the bass strings and high shutter speed of the camera led to this surprising string-wobble footage.

There is no slowmo applied to the take. Sound is original."

It is just a wierd effect they made with the camera. To see the real vibrating of the string we would need a very slow shot like they did with Mike Mangini with the drum. The poor guy almost cried when he saw how the cymbal bend out of shape.

3. droppedurpocket

droppedurpocket

Nov 11, 2011
    Plano, TX
    So cool!. Very weird too

4. Willicious

Willicious Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2008
    Bend, Oregon
    This thread made me think of this footage.

This is for the guys out there who insist they can have a flat neck AND low action in their setup. :D

5. This is one of the reasons why DSLRs that shoot video, while all the rage right now, aren't going to replace standard video cameras and movie cameras.
    They have a few other quirks like that shown in the video that make them unsuitable for capturing sports and other fast action.

6. Stormer

Stormer

Jul 24, 2012
    If you sit facing your tv, turn the lights off and play your bass you get a similar effect.

7. Smilodon

Smilodon Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Norway
    Cool video. :)

The difference is the operator in this case, though. ;)

There are a few ways of getting around this effect:

Lower ISO speed
    Close aperture (Although this will give a slightly different bokeh)
    Gray filter

I don't quite see how a proper camera would do this differently other than having a more knowledgeable operator. ;)

Having that said, I agree that SLRs will never fully replace proper video cameras.

8. FileBass

FileBass

May 9, 2012
    we can bare with some buzz. n if u cant then its ur story. check out youtube bass the world channel. he has his sandberg with very low action n they play great. flater neck = more even sound, easier to play, bite sound(i dunno what to call it but w/ flat neck i personnallly heard the tone when dig in is different) n better harmonic. though some buzz. just find an optimum between buzz n playability. marcus miller, VW, and other boutique bass user have surprising low action.

9. mndean

mndean

Mar 20, 2009
    California
    There's a floor on a DSLRs ISO, below which you give up IQ, and closing the aperture isn't a good idea for a busy background. ND filter is a good idea, 4x and up I should think. A good ND filter, though. Some of them aren't very good and will give a color cast.