1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Amazing High-Speed Video of Upright Bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by PlayTheBass, Aug 2, 2012.

1. PlayTheBass

PlayTheBass aka Mac Daddy Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
  2. gerry grable

gerry grable Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2010
  3. Neat looking, but strings don't vibrate like that. They go up and down (back and forth?) as a single curve, not with waves or ripples in them.

It's not the high shutter speed that's giving that effect. Some cameras have what's called a "rolling shutter", and instead of capturing the frame all at once, they scan the lines from top to bottom and start all over again. This can lead to crazy artifacts, not unlike the moire effect when you turn a screen in front of another screen and see shapes moving within them.

And it's not just CMOS video that does this. Single shots can get weird in their own right! This is a single shot of a propeller that's rapidly spinning:

tumblr_l7guydLyq11qbmt20.

Crazy stuff! - j

4. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    Is there any videos of an electric bass filmed in the same way? That is cool!!

5. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    That video's been posted about a hundred times now, mostly in the 'Miscellaneous' section. Its just the effect of the frame rate of the video capture device.

6. PlayTheBass

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    I think it's always going to be an interaction between the system that's being recorded, and the system that's recording it. Makes for very cool artifacts, but you just have to realize how the two systems are interacting before you can make an assumption about what you're seeing.

That turboprop shot is wild! Sure that just isn't Bakersfield in the summer?

7. PlayTheBass

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Sorry about that. I did searches before I posted, like "shutter" and "high speed", and not one of those hundred came up.

8. PlayTheBass

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Yeah!! I remember tripping on that when I first started playing. :) It's even better than just waving your hand back and forth in front of the TV really fast.

Reminds me of one time I showed up for a bass lesson and my teacher was sitting looking at the two LEDs on his Yamaha SPX-90 and making his lips vibrate all farty-like. I was like, what the?, and he said try it... so I sat down and did, and the two numbers moved up and down, but opposite each other, one up while the other was down, etc. It's a trip! Then his wife walked by and saw us both doing it and she said I was paying too much for bass lessons. :p

9. nicechuck

nicechuck

Jul 9, 2007
    I just love the woodgrain in the neck. Beautiful