Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amazing Hubble

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Vorago, May 29, 2005.

1. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    http://hubblesite.org/gallery/album/

Being interested in astronomy and related things (astrophysics, cosmology etc, too bad about my mathgrades, or I would have studied astronomy) I thought I'd share this with you guys. So much beauty in space, it's really stunning.

Enjoy :)

2. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    nice.

I'm a total junky for anything astronmical.

3. Savage!

Thanks for that. I still do a daily check up on that Antwerp astronomy site you posted a while back, the one with the new pic every day.

Space = :cool:

4. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    [​IMG]

An old girlfriend of mine works the observatory at the school, she doesn't get images as nice as this, but it's still really cool to see on clear nights.

5. I still can't believe that NASA won't send up a shuttle to keep Hubble going...but they'll still send up twenty or so more shuttles to the space station. :confused:

The Hubble does more science in a day than the ISS does in a year.

6. Those are really amazing pictures. There was one that was described as a galaxy with a blackeye caused by a collision with another galaxy. I don't know if I want to find out what would happen if our galaxy collided with another.

7. sknkh

sknkh

Mar 21, 2004
  8. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
  9. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Thanks

here it is again if you didn't see it last time

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/archivepix.html

10. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    That's cool. Here's the same in infrared

[​IMG]

11. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I'm looking for a nice one to post here, but they're all nice :)

The only problem is, when looking at these kind of pictures, you get rather disappointed when you look through your own telescope and you see Jupiter the size of a thumbnail instead of this [​IMG]

:meh:

12. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    hey, you might want to check this out :cool:

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap050529.html

13. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    don't blame nasa. they want to go, congress won't fund the mission. nasa has very little leeway in what they spend their budget on.

14. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
  15. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I really hope they keep Hubble in space, maybe it can be financed with privat funds?

16. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    man, i hope so too. jeeze with the number of billionaires in this country, or around the world for that matter, you'd think a few could toss a some change hubble's way.

i think they are expecting chandra to pick up the slack - they get more out of x-ray astronomy anyway, as far as raw info, from my understanding.

17. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Love this stuff. Thanks for the link!

18. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA

I also heard that one of the reasons financial support for Hubble is waining is due to the fact that there is potentially a replacement in the works.

They had a feature on Hubble on the Discovery channel and mentioned a complete replacement to Hubble. I don't know how lilkely a replacement will be after all the red tape is cut, but it would be great for science to have an updated deep space telescope.

That gallery has some great shots. My favorite is of the Cat's Eye Nebula. It's awe inspiring to try and comprehend what else is going on in this universe.

19. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
  20. I am a tour guide over at NASA's Johnson Space Center, and we rarely hear anything about Hubble....who knows what is going on with it. But then again, I'm just a tour lackey.

I can tell you however that NASA's budget was severely cut back in 2002, and probably have faced more cuts since then, and many projects have had to die or become seriously delayed because of that. The Columbia incident didn't help things either.