Amazing internet jam site - no latency

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by imispgh, Feb 17, 2010.

1. imispgh

imispgh

Feb 17, 2010
  2. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Inactive Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Hmm...

Ubuntu, NINJAM

EDIT:

I've just tried installing the latest currently available .deb version of Ninjam for Ubuntu (Ubuntu 9.04).

It doesn't work with Ubuntu Studio 9.10.

3. i second ninjam--i have made some recordings for an ambient/loop project with a guy in germany and it worked out great

4. imispgh

imispgh

Feb 17, 2010
  5. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

Jan 21, 2005
    ( I meant welcome to talkbass)

the list was about playing online, it's a big new world out there, I belived that those links could be helpfull for anyone looking for online playing.

They were to me.

BR

6. This guy is a spammer. He posted the same thing on Harmony Central.

7. Andy_D

Andy_D

Nov 28, 2009
    Corpus Christi, TX
    This is a valid site. Ninjam was created by Justin Frankel the creator of Reaper, WinAmp, Gnutella, Shoutcast, and other well known software. Most all of what he has created has had something to do with music. This is awesome I can'r wait to get it set up and try it.

8. Andy_D

Andy_D

Nov 28, 2009
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Just got Ninjam up and running in Reaper. It seems to work OK. Now I just need to find some servers that have some players online. More later after I have the chance to use some more.

9. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    People who register and immediately begin advertising a site are spammers, regardless of the legitimacy of whatever they're advertising.

10. Andy_D

Andy_D

Nov 28, 2009
    Corpus Christi, TX
    A report on my experience on Ninjam...

It took me a while to get set up properly, there are several how-to's out there and not all were helpful. Once I finally got things up and running I found a server to join in on. Basically, no one was jamming so I just got on and started noodling and in a few minutes there were several people online. Guitar, keys, drums, some guy doing vocal loops. All I can say is I had a blast. We went from noise to getting it together and had some really great moments. Players come and go so things tighten up and then fall apart. But hey, what a great time killer. Now I can always find some musicians to play with.

Very Cool, I like it!

11. Andy_D

Andy_D

Nov 28, 2009
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Here's a link to one of the jams I had last night. Apparently the server saves and auto-mixes the jams. I think that you can also download the jams in Reaper format for re-mixing. Like I said I had a blast! There are some talented people out there from all over the world. The hard part about all this I guess is trying to get something coherent going within your jam. I've never jammed when I couldn't at least look directly at the people I was jamming with, exchange gestures for what we were going to do next etc...

Listen to some of the other jams, they even have a top 100 list. Let me know what you think. Oh, and I'm not spamming anything. I just stumbled upon this thread. What a great discovery!

12. Govier966

Govier966

Apr 28, 2009
    New York
    hah this could be great for when i cant make it to band practace, di into the computer then on the other end have my amp plugged into a laptop.

13. MIJ-VI

Jan 12, 2009
    How is sharing information relevant to the common interests of others spamming?

I've done so frequently and have often been thanked by those who've found said info to be useful.

Context forms a keystone in any consideration...

14. MIJ-VI

Jan 12, 2009
    As cool as this seems I'd be wary of including any lyrics in this process in order to preserve one's copyright.

Sites which offer 'free' services can have a downside.

15. How about the OP only having 2 posts for context? M0ses said it well a few posts above:

16. MIJ-VI

Jan 12, 2009
    How about Online Music Collaboration: Best Tools And Services To Collaborate On Music Projects offering a comparative listing of fourteen on-line jamming opportunities--eleven of which are free?

I expect that any info you could offer which is relevant to on-line jamming would be appreciated as well by those who are interested in this subject.

--------

Some context re being accused of spamming:

I recently endured a similar knee-jerk reaction myself, and like heavyfunkmachin, I stood to gain no discernible advantage from my efforts either.

17. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

Jan 21, 2005
    i tired and i works great.

it needs more people playing... or i need to be luckier. but it kicks a$$

18. You're right that it's probably better not to immediately assume someone is spamming, but the OP posted the same thread in a few forums on Harmony Central (which have since been removed). He also posted the exact thread in 2 sub-forums here on TB (Basses, and Miscellaneous). I think the TB threads have been merged. Not to mention that a quick search revealed the same thread here:

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?p=666431

and here:

http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/showthread.php?t=240774

Maybe he isn't a spammer, but I certainly think he is coming across as such.

19. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I think there is (or should be) a difference in "Spamming", where presumably the spammer stands to gain something, vs. what this guy seems to be doing which is just getting the word out about something we all might appreciate and make use of. Considering what it is (the site) It certainly makes sense that he would post it on multiple musician sites, maybe in a few different catagories.

Everybody who's tried it seems to really be digging it.
    I don't see this as a bad thing.....so far. ;)

If you all start walking around like mindless zombies later, sending all your gear to the guy...
    ...I'll admit I was wrong.:bag:

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021