1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amazing Miles Davis 1970 clip

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by megadan, Mar 20, 2009.

1. That's something. It's like it was filmed yesterday. Chick and Jarrett on the same stage, with DeJohnette and Holland on electric. Amazing.

That music is a bit difficult for me to listen to at this point (although I've been spinning the Filmore Live discs recently), but historically, it's really something to see the early days of fusion.

Thanks for posting that!

2. flyman

flyman Whoa!!

Aug 2, 2005
    cincinnati, ohio
    +1 ! Amazing quality & amazing asemblage of players ! And I agree, it's kinda hard to listen to it. I'm not sure I would have recognized Holland.

Regards,
    flyman

3. JohnDavisNYC

JohnDavisNYC

Jan 11, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar, D'Addario
    hard to listen to!?!?!?!

do you like music?

anyway, that is from some documentary on the electric miles period... i can't remember the name of the film. it is great!

Jack is so great.

John

4. Thank you John, I agree! This is amazing. I don't find it hard to listen to at all - on the contrary, I feel like I'm learning something just listening to these guys. Absolutely brilliant. I feel sure that I would completely fall apart in a situation like that. Rock music is a mewing puking infant compared to this :D

5. Don't forget to watch the second half!

The end is superb.

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    awesome find!!!

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
  8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Last week I started reading a book about Miles' '80s-'90s music (not my favourite period of his, FWIW).
    As a result, I did start playing the '70s stuff again (as a lead-in to what he started doing in the '80s)-
    At Fillmore (w/ IIRC. Michael Henderson on bass)
    It's About That Time ("the Lost Quintet" w/ Holland)
    Black Beauty (at the Fillmore West w/ Holland)
    At The Philharmonic (w/ Henserson)

I haven't gotten back to Panagea or Agharta yet...but those two are Electric!
    ...with Pete Cosey!

9. I'm a big fan of melody, changes, bridges, and not such a fan any more of lots of notes, one chord modal jams or distorted keyboards:smug: However, I greatly appreciate it for what it is!

10. Great footage! What an incredible lineup. Dave looks so young!:)

11. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Awesome stuff!

But it serves as another reminder on how live videos from today really suck. They're always changing every two seconds, quick jerky movements, and always focus on the players face versus the instrument being played. I know emotions and faces really set a tone, but I would rather see more long shots of the player and his or her instrument being slowly zoomed in and out, or in and out of focus. Much like Woodstock, or these clips.

12. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    arrrggg - my company is blocking this site... and I LOVE me some Miles!

alas...

13. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Cannot really see the clips here...assuming they're from the 1970 Isle of Wight Music Fest?
    Anyway, I also have that DVD...The Doors & Free footage? Pretty much close-ups of both lead singers...very little Andy Fraser.
    The Miles' footage is great...I guess the cameramen didn't have a clue on what to do with his set?

BTW, another "gem" from yesteryear is Jimi Hendrix At Berkeley...God-awful!

14. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    Wow!!! That was cool... I love that period of Miles Davis. In fact, I host monthly jams where my dream is to get where those guys are at.

Looks like Airto on hand percussion instruments... who's the second key player besides Chick?

15. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City

Keith Jarrett?

16. +1 When you consider the guys that went through that sort of Bitches Brew and later era of Miles' bands... McLaughlin, Jarrett, Corea, Zawinul, DeJohnette, and later Marcus Miller, Stern, etc., you can see that he literally defined the entire classic Fusion era, and had a big impact on the 'post fusion' thing also. Simply amazing.

I'll be seeing Chick and McLaughlin together next weekend!!!

17. ufomind

ufomind

Dec 31, 2008
    Other incredible Miles & Keith Jarret video ...

from 5:00 to end

18. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    I have to agree Ken. Miles' influence on the 'fusion' genre is undeniable. 1970, wasn't it later that year the sessions for Tribute to Jack Johnson recorded? I understand folks feeling this stuff is hard to listen to, but for me that is part of it's allure; you really need to pay attention, just like the guys in the band ( I mean look at their faces!). Def not easy listening. I really like the JJ record, especially when I'm alone, nobody can give me any s***!

19. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I agree...the guys in those bands (Corea, Jarrett, Holland, DeJohnette, Airto, Shorter, Liebman, Grossman, Bartz, etc) were at the point of being able to play 'the changes'...any changes...in their sleep.
    It does look like they are totally paying attention...and sweating!
    (Well, maybe except for Jarrett). ;)