Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

amazing new anti-aging discoveries

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by nonsqtr, Aug 30, 2005.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
  2. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    I can't open the first page and the 2nd page? the guy needs to get a hair cut/style, dump the glasses and get a better shirt. I'm sure he's very smart and all, but he looks kinda dumb. OK, he's a dweeb.
    I bet he can open the first page though. :rolleyes:

3. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    now that I got the first page open....here's what I think (simplified):
    On one hand, I think it's great that we can live longer with better life quality. I am sure that as time goes on, say 20 years from now, we will have some discoveries that will change our health in ways that cannot be measured.

On the other hand, how long should we live for? Certainly discoveries that extend our life spans can place the earth out of balance. World population is already growing by leaps and bounds? How will the science of extended life spans affect that? How will this impact world economies? What about world food and water supply? Not to mention energy (politicians! WAKE UP!)

4. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Sorry, I don't know what happened to those links (I can still open them) - here's the basic story - that particular team of researchers discovered a gene, that extends lifespan, reduces disease, and basically puts a mouse into a space where it doesn't even have to worry about things like crawling around once it gets old, and atherosclerosis (which is a a pimary cause of mouse death), and and stuff like that.

As far as I can tell, this is a pretty significant advance in science.

It's hard to tell how it'll affect human beings (the mouse situation is that they gat fatter quicker, which is not necessarily a bad thing, in the global scheme of medicine) -

And I also agree with the political aspect you mentioned - but still, this is a pretty significant advance in science.

It's perhaps two years into a fifty-year endeavor, that "might" allow you and me to live to age 150 or so - which, if you think about it, would be pretty remarkable, wouldn't it?

5. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    No doubt an amazing endeavor.
    But, do a little math:
    let's say that we can live to 150, thats approx. 2x the average lifespan (75) (some places slightly more, others much less, whatever).
    let assume also that there is no population increase due to any other cause other than living to 150.
    what is now 6 billion would then be 12 billion people.
    and that's just due to living longer!
    where will we put everyone?
    how will we feed them?
    what about fresh water?
    energy to cool and heat them?
    how?

6. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Folks, no matter how many "fountain of youth" discoveries are found, the body will always find a way around it and die. I am all for long life but not an eternal one, at least not here anyway. The body, by design, wears out...period. No hormonal intervention will slow it down. Most of these types of research findings are a precursor to the latest topical do-dad on an infomercial.

But what do I know?

:p

Mike