Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amazing new cancer finding, thanks to stem cells

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by nonsqtr, Jun 8, 2005.

1. eric234

eric234 Guest

Mar 11, 2005
    philadelphia
    wow......it's amazing what scientist's can do now isn't it?

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    It's still dumb to pay for a picture beside your name...

3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Well, I get to spout my mouth off in the Lobby. :)

(where I can communicate my "detailed" views on stem cell research, and the politics around it).

Can you say the same? :D

4. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I kinda gave up on the lobby, I go there and say some5thing inciteful once in a while :D!

5. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yeah, you do. :)

It's actually a pretty cool place, it's a microcosm of the world at large.

All kinds of people, with all kinds of viewpoints.

Plus, it's kinda interesting to see how bass players view the world. We're a breed apart, in more ways than one. :D

6. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    You see, i just like being inciteful :)

Just for you nonsqtr - I'll attempt to be more active in the lounge :D

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ..and how 'bout insightful?

(Just for a change of pace).

8. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    To most people there is no difference.

9. tifa

tifa Padawan Bassist

Mar 8, 2005
    Blackburn, UK
    Thanks for that, I found that really interesting. I did my final year dissertation on an aspect of cancer therapy. Its amazing that stem cells, in additon to their potential uses, can also further our understanding of the mechanisms of cancer cell proliferation - let's hope this research carries on and can maybe one day provide a viable treatment.

Current cancer therapies are basically limited to 'cut it out, poison it with drugs, or blast it with radiation' - the side effects of which can be more detrimental than the symptoms of the disease itself. Lets hope stem cell research can bring cancer therapy into the 21st century :)

whew - since I left uni, I haven't had chance to discuss things like this! :D apologies for the boring post!

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    If that was true, I'd own at least several small countries. You'd own, roughly, the eastern hemisphere.

11. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I just hope they can find a way to force cancer cells to listen to the "stop signals," and allow the body to kill the cancer easily.

12. tifa

tifa Padawan Bassist

Mar 8, 2005
    Blackburn, UK
    yup - thats the key. The problem is different cancers have many different cellular signals, etc - its finding the 'common' factor that differentiates between all cancerous cells and normal ones.

lets hope this makes progress on the cancer therapy front :)

13. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA

Well, the difference between me and Stalin or Mao, is that I'll voluntarily abdicate my domain when the time comes. :)

That's the whole deal behind "influence", we all think we're going to live forever.

The prime directive these days, seems to be the "preservation of the union".

Me, I'd rather give the monarchists their little stretch of land, and let them deal with it however they want. :D

I'd much rather "engage", than "overcome".

Except of course if you get in my face with an Uzi, in which case you die. Simple as that. :eyebrow: