Amazing practice/studio amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Paulabass, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    Yesterday I tried an Ampeg pf20t, an all tube 20 watter, on top of a 2x10 portaflex cab.
    Not what I need at all, but what a sweet rig. For home studio, or bedroom this is one of the sweetest amps I've heard. I'm guessing it wouldn't keep up with a drummer. Also, for a bedroom it's a bit expensive at about a grand.
    Just a cool amp alert.

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Paul to Paula

You keep a drummer in your bedroom? What do you do about the dr-ool ?? LOL

I’ll stick with my B15N for my practice amp. :)

3. nbsipics

nbsipics Ours' is the only Reality of Consequence Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Welcome to Talk Bass!

For certain gigs a pf50t might keep up with some sane drummer ( oxymoron; dynamcs <> full-on pounding 100% of the time? ). And it has a few more gizmos too for a little more dough. Gigs and studio - sweet! Enjoy your new Ampeg.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    The PF-20T is probably more practical as a studio amp for folks who want a tube amp with modern conveniences than a gigging amp, although on certain low volume gigs I do I could easily use one, and it's good for ampless gigs as well.

5. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Why would you need an amp to play an amp-less gig? Did Irma rattle your headbones or what? :D

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Why you...I oughta...

:D

Because it's a tube amp that doesn't require a cabinet, and it sounds a million times better than that $50 Whirlwind Imp 2 we always seem to get stuck with if we don't supply our own.

7. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    I'd rather have a Fender Bassman 100T in the 25 watt mode on top of a Bassman neo 115, but I do adore your vibe. ;)

8. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

I mighta known you’d have a sensible reason! :)

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Of course, Paul! I am nothing if not sensible. Ask my wife. On second thought, don't.

10. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    It is the way of life itself.

AstroSonic and BassmanPaul like this.
  11. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Put those 20 watts through a 6x10 and you'll hear it pretty good. Might even play a little bit bigger size gig. :bassist:

12. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

I haven’t used that little power since I was a baby bass player! :)

puff father, Stumbo and BadExample like this.
  13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    In most of my bands, if I turn up much louder than what 20w gives me clean, I get the stinkeye. Yet I insist on an SVT and 810e on my fly gig rider. That's how I do it.

14. My 50 keeps up with my drummer. I wouldn't call him sane, but he does know how to play at a reasonable level.

15. smtp4me

smtp4me

Sep 30, 2013
    Philadelphia, PA
    Just to confirm - many tube amps require load on the output channel to prevent the transformer from burning up. This is not the case with the Ampeg?

16. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Just about all tube amps require a load, but the PF-50t and PF-20t don't. They have built-in dummy loads that allow them to operate without a cab that get triggered when you have nothing plugged into the speaker out jack.

pcake, SirMjac28, Tom Bomb and 2 others like this.
  17. It's a super heavy preamp with power tubes:D

18. I tried out the pf-50t a little while ago and I agree, it was awesome. I like the features too. Not in the market for a studio/practice amp at the moment, but I almost bought one anyway "just because".

19. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    :D Not THAT heavy. The 50T is only 20 lbs and I think the 20T is 14.

Mushroo and 40Hz like this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021