Amazing practice/studio amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Paulabass, Sep 23, 2017.

1. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    You might be surprised, I gigged a Traynor 20 watt Bass Mate combo for a few years in small clubs with no problems being heard.

2. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    It ALL boils down to what you are doing with it. In a three piece with bass, harmonica, and sitar, it would rock. It might not pass muster in a Motorhead tribute.

Luther likes this.
  3. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Yep. About the same as the 18 lbs an average case of beer weighs - and which most of us think nothing of carting around. ;)

JimmyM, Morrighan and Interceptor like this.
  4. Interceptor

Interceptor

Mar 29, 2005
    Madison, WI
    I've been steadily gigging a PF-50 over the summer. With an efficient cabinet, it is plenty loud for bands that work at sound levels that are would get you hired in a country club or a Wisconsin Supper Club.

Then again, I'm in the same camp as JimmyM when it comes to volume, stage volume in my bands is controlled.

JimmyM and mikew31 like this.
  5. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

It's funny, but that issue came up when MTV was doing their "Unplugged" concert series

Some diehard acoustic buffs were taking issue with the overhead microphones and the tiny miked amps behind the bass player's chair.

MTV responded (rightly I think) that "unplugged" in this day and age represents an approach to (and style of) playing, rather than being just a simple "no electricity" qualifier.

It was something that came up early with the show producers. Test audiences almost unanimously preferred to hear more audible vocals and some bass in the mix, and felt that absolutely forbidding amplification under any circumstances was at odds with producing a good listening experience for the live audience and viewers.

6. Waltsdog

Waltsdog

Feb 21, 2009
    Ottawa, ON
    I used the PF20 at a rehearsal just to see what it could do, flat out through a batefaced 2x12 it just kept about kept up in a medium loud three piece rock band. Pretty impressive for such a tiny tube amp.

SirMjac28 likes this.
  7. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Yay! An OP with good taste who likes Ampegs and tubes and reasonable sound levels.

We never met, but we're already on the way to becoming good friends.:thumbsup:

FingerDub likes this.
  8. LT131

LT131

Jan 25, 2015
    Deep South
    Good point except at loadout that case of beer will weigh exactly 0.

bonin in the boneyard and 40Hz like this.
  9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    :roflmao:

10. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I use an Ashdown LB30 (30W) with a drummer all the time. The trick is you gotta bring enough cab under it to get the job done. In my case, the Epifani UL410 with that little thirty watter gets it done without even pegging the amp. Kind of defeats the purpose of having a tiny head, but I just like the tone of it so much it's worth it to me.

I have run it in a church before (humongous DRY room) with no PA when we had technical difficulties and it covered the room. Not bad for a 30W head in a carpeted gymnasium with curtains down the walls and acoustic foam on the metal works in the ceiling.

11. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Not if you have to carry the drummer out because of it. ;):laugh:

12. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Paul to Paula, my apologies I did not notice you were a new member so, belatedly, welcome to Talk Bass! :D

It’s nice to have another lady join our ranks. :hyper:

13. FingerDub

FingerDub Inactive

Jan 8, 2016
    I agree. Also, 20 tube watts is like 100 regular watts IMO.

14. LT131

LT131

Jan 25, 2015
    Deep South
    I ain't touching no sweaty drummer! He should have left my beer alone! Hopefully he brought a friend.

40Hz likes this.
  15. Haroldo

Haroldo Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2005
    North Shore, MA
    Does this amp magically result in more brandy Old-Fashioneds (sweet, please)? And if so, more pickled brussel sprout garnish? I have high hopes for these li'l Ampeg buggers.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  16. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Don't know about that.

I also don't know if this is true everywhere...but almost everyplace I've ever brought my B-15N, there will always be a woman or two in the audience that seems fascinated by that little amp and sometimes hangs around afterwards to check it out and come chat. The only other piece of gear I've ever seen that happen with regularly is a Fireglo Ric.

Go figure. Maybe it that little visibly glowing tube cage that acts something like a bug zapper light for some people? :laugh:

17. Haroldo

Aug 31, 2005
    North Shore, MA
    I was quite partial to the bottom/side lit plexi name plate. The guy I bought mine from was named Jim. And so was the amp ever forth. (Dim memory puts the weight at ~70#. Is that correct?)

40Hz likes this.
  18. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I always figured mine was around a good 50-60 lbs. But it (like me) seems to have gotten heavier over the years. I'm harder to lift than I was when I first got it. And I've noticed it's become more of an effort for me to lift it over the years as well.

Weird that is. ;).

Haroldo likes this.
  19. Haroldo

Aug 31, 2005
    North Shore, MA
    Quite so on my girth and mass, also. I had always intellectually appreciated the phrase "youth is wasted on the young," but it's another thing entirely to experience aging. I could do without alot of it, thanks.

40Hz likes this.
  20. Interceptor

Interceptor

Mar 29, 2005
    Madison, WI
    All that sweet stuff is a tragedy in a decent Brandy.

Anyways, the PF 50 with a decent cabinet works really well for those of us who are playing in bands where ear splitting volume isn't the game.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021