Amazing problem with GC

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by notabob, May 13, 2004.

1. notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    ok, i am bringin in a bass for a trade for a cab, the dude on the phone said, sure we can trade ya in, no problem just bring your bass in. ok, i bring my bass in and the guy wants to set it up and try to lower the action a little. crank crank crank crank. needles to say, i watched him crank away the life of my neck right before my eyes. "i almost got it set." crank crank, other sales person says, "dude, thats ebough." they take my bass to the backa nd about 30 minutes later the guy comes back. "sorry, cant give you anything for it. we saw a bass a few weeks ago that was just like this and had a lot of issues so we dont want to take the risk with yours." i guess they dont realize that some basses just come off of the assembly line as crap. i tell him that ive had the bass for years and i have had no problems with it at all. he says, "well, we have to play it by a case by case basis and your bass is screwed (he said this in different words, but meant the same thing)." i say, "whatever." he gives me a free shirt and i leave. i get the bass home, pop open the case. hit the open A...buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. i am getting buzzing on all of my open notes. i call the dude and ask him what they did to my bass. "we, uh, uh, we, um, we put tightened the, uh, trussrod all the way, um hoping to lower, the uh, action a little bit." i tell him that you really shouldnt turn the trussrod on any bass more than a half of a turn per day and whatnot and he tells me, "dude, all he did was tighten it, its not gonna hurt your bass bud." it pisses me off that he called me bud for one, but it makes me mad that he questioned my knowlege of setting up my bass. so, im pissed and i dont know what to do. he told me to just turn the truss rod a half turn counter clockwise and it would be fine and they would fix it if i couldnt get it. the last thing i am going to do is take it back to guitar center. i am sorry about this long story, but i need to vent. what should i do? i guess im gonna go do what he told me to do and let him deal with it if it gets screwed up. NEVER trust your beautiful instruments to the unknowlegeable staff at guitar center. any insight on the situation would be much appreciated.

2. Radix Haze

Radix Haze

May 9, 2004
    where I live in Arkansas, the only music store with any selection is the guitar center. And it sucks for bass gear. Just thought I'd share.
  3. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I'm confused. Why did (would) he want to "set it up" before accepting it?!? The reasons he gave you for turning it down had nothing to do with the playability of the actual instrument, rather, they had to do with the reputation/experience of the entire line.

This is unreal. If it is exactly as you say, man - those dip_____ screwed you, but good!

NEVER(!!) let some salesman make any adjustments to your bass, at least not until after they've made a deal with you on the trade. There is no reason for them to have to go screwing with the trussrod in order to determine whether or not they can take the bass in for trade.

I would be madder than hell and i would go in there and raise the issue (professionally) with the manager. If THAT didn't work, I would contact corporate headquarters and raise the issue (again, professionally) until somebody with some kind of authority did something about it.
  4. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    There's a guy at GC near me I trust a lot. He is an avid bass player been on tour, now resides at GC with all the other between gig musicans. He does my set ups, gives me a lot of tips etc. It's an individual thing, you assume the guy is qualified but ask a lot of questions. Make sure before he starts wrenching on your axe he knows what he is doing. Ask loaded questions only a serious bassplayer would know. Besides him there is only one guy I remotely trust out of 25 people in that store, the rest are hacks! He also happens to be a manager so maybe start at the top.
  5. notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    i think i fixed it, but i dont know. i will only know after my neck has a little time to set. i learn from my mistakes and maybe ill just keep bringing that bass in every week until they trade me. hopefully ill find some one who will accept it. there is nothing wrong with the bass, at least there wasnt until guitar center took it and then gave it back. i think ill call the music go round and see if they have any cabs i might be interested in. only time will tell with these things.
  6. What's disturbing about your incident is that GC wants to setup your bass but never sets up their own guitars! The majority of times I've gone into GC to demo basses the strings are on the frets or setup like a crossbow for shooting arrows. I have rarely played one there worth buying. And requesting them to set it up while you're there is a major ordeal. I was successful ONCE.

So you bring in a trade and they immediately want to tweak it. Absolutely ridiculous!

They'd sell a LOT more guitars if they took 2 mins to set up each one (by someone who knows how!) Well, maybe that's the problem!
  7. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Go in there and talk to the manager. That is ridiculous, and they are really responsible for what they did. If they happened to use the wrong size trussrod wrench, or tightened it too much and stress cracking the trussrod, they are responsible. That is just not something you do with anyone's instrument. Would someone take pliers to a stuck mouthpiece in a 4000 dollar trumpet? I would hope not! It is the same kind of abuse, and is uncalled for.
  8. notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    hey, im fine now. i took it to music go round and they are stuck with it now. i got a peavey black widow 18" to go into my setup though, so i am completely happy. ill let them deal with my bass now. the thing is, they didnt even try to adjust anything, just traded me. thats the way it should be.
  9. DougP

Sep 4, 2001

There is nothing like picking up a $3000 Pedulla and trying to play on a neck that is arched, not bowed! LOL

i have learned not to base opinion of a brand on anything that GC has on the showroom.
  10. bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    I played a Zon there once that had a straight neck...oh wait they're graphite! ;) It did have the usual GC scratches and dings though... :rollno:
  11. yeah i brought my bass into guitar center and they fixed it up for me for free, adjusted the truss rod and action and what not, except it wasnt a random salesman, my guitarist suggested this guy because hes done alot of work on his guitar, he did a pretty good job, i wouldnt let a random guy do it for me unless i wanted him to cuz as far as i know most of the younger guys that work at guitar center are idiots and it seems to be nation wide, crazy how that is. that is kind of wierd how he was dinkin around with it before he wanted to trade... shows again how much the younger guys are usually idiots.... good grief
  12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

This is something that gets said around here as advice for people who are inexperienced and don't really know what they're doing, to make sure they don't over-tighten - and from that point of view it is good advice. It makes sure you are aware of what you have done, as it may not be immediately apparent (how much it has affected your action for example) and then if you tighten again, you may have gone too far.

But experienced people who are setting up basses every day, can judge how much is needed and do it all in one go - I would be very suprised if a professional adjusted the truss rod in small increments, it would just take them too long and be a waste of time.
  13. notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    yeah, i understand that, but he tightened it all the way. to the point where my strings buzzed on open. that is not very professional.
  14. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    what bruce said.

also, i don't see it as being that horrible a thing. i think it's more horrible that you'd want to trade something in at a guitar center. :) you're lucky if they give you half of what it's actually worth if you sold it on your own.

his tightening tirade may have been because he found some truss rod or neck problem with the other bass like yours that he said he encountered, and couldn't tell unless the neck was real straight.

the guy said he's fix it for you if you wanted so he was willing to make right for it. the only bad on his part (IMO) is that he didn't set the bass back up the way you originally had it, but then again - you could have asked him to before leaving. my guess is if he tightened it all that much without snapping the neck it was in some serious need of a set up anyhow. me thinks you were pissed cuz he wouldn't make the trade you wanted, that's what me thinks.
  15. Regardless of if it needed a setup or not, he didn't ask to have anything done to his guitar other than to appraise the trade in value. The only thing that notabob did wrong is not stopping the large foreheaded GC dud from making any adjustments.

If you asked to play someone's bass, regardless if you thought it needed a setup or anything, mere common courtesy should tell you "don't mess with other people's stuff."
  16. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Great little story of mine:
    The store: GC in Pasadena
    The Incident: Horrible Setup

I was in Guitar Center in Pasadena, CA on a trip and found a great looking Spector NS2000/5 that had been on the hook for awhile (judging by the dust). I get it down an wow, the neck was so bowed the strings were resting on neck. I took it up front and asked "what the hell?". The "Dude" said, "Oh yeah I keep meaning to fix that, thanx". I am a Spector Artist so I care about how they are portrayed. Anywho, I go back the next day, the bass is hanging back up so I take it down, the guy put it right back up there after I left with no adjustments. I ran to my car got my tools and took it into a room and fixed it. A long time ago before they had a gazillion stores they hired competent people now it's a fashion show.

GC, way to go.
  17. notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    joe nerve, my problem is that i had a problem with the bass before. once upon a time the fretboard started coming unglued from the neck. i had it professionally reglued, but common sense tells me that too much pressure on that neck again and it could have more problems. i dont really care now because music-go-round has it to deal with now.
  18. notabob, Can you tell us which GC this was and where it is?

19. notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    it was the one in the forest fair mall in the cincinnati ohio area.
  20. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    I am a former G.C. employee,(no, i'm neither bragging nor complaining)and I have seen things there in my 2 months of employment that would make Leo Fender spin in his grave(God rest his soul).
    Before I worked there I bought 4 basses that had to be returned due to bad necks(high fretts,warped f-board,ETC.)and so the salesman would'nt lose his sale he told me that because I removed the neck the bass was no longer under warrenty(the basses in question had the truss adj. at the heel of the neck :eyebrow: )
    So I broke down and kept the final bass and had it looked at by a Fender repairman(a good friend of mine)and the neck was deemed "UN-REPAIRABLE" by him and Fender,so they were to send me a new neck.
    A three week wait turned into a 6 month back order,now at this time I work for the same G.C. that the bass was from,My boss agrees to take the bass back and give me a store credit for the amount I paid,I bring the bass in, and insted of sending it to Fender they hung it back on the wall :help: for someone else to end up with it.
    So my point is this,G.C. is a foul place run by foul people,who are driven by money and not the love of music,it is a commision based company in which of you dont do what ever it takes to sell then you will make minimum wage,and thats not good enuff for them, because that means your not making them enuff money.
    I would do set-ups for free for all my customers,or if a bass was a mess when it came from the box ,I would get it to a point in which it would be in good enuff playing condition so a customer could decide if it was a decent bass or not,and I was told "YOU ARE NOT A REPAIRMAN,YOU ARE A SALESMAN"YOU DONT GET PAID TO SET-UP OR FIX OUR CUSTOMERS INSTRUMENTS"I think min.wage is not a bad price for them to pay me for repair work,NO ?.
    I understand the concept of buisness,but being a total sleeze to people is not cool,I am not a disgruntled employee,I have a good construction job that I worked during the warmer months,and I dont believe in lying and cheating people to make a lousy comission check every month(an extra 75.00$ a week)is NOT in my "big picture",but for the company in which they had a turnover rate of 60% a month of their workers tells me it's not a good place to work or SHOP.
    And another nIckels worth of free advice is that they also purchase B stock instruments from the distrubuters when possible,why do you think they are the cheaper than all the other stores around ? HUM ? their stuff is second rate quality,My sister-in-law is a sales reps for one of the companies that sell to them ,and I believe her 100%.
    You can get a good deal,just go with someone who knows a bit more than yourself,AND ALWAYS BARTER ! :hyper: