Amazing questions

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Don Higdon, Mar 14, 2004.

1. I subbed in a piano/bass duo last night.
    I got there first, so there's just me and the bartender, a pretty 30-something.
    She said "Are you playing alone tonight?"
    I said "Yes."

Has anyone else been asked a question that just sets you back? I'm not talking about the stupid-a$$ jokes, like "How do you get that under your chin?" I mean sincere questions that make you laugh, or scratch your head.
  2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I think she was waiting for you to say "Why don't you play with me?" At least, that's what I would've said :D
  3. :D
  4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    I had someone ask me, on a cruise ship out in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, "Do you live on the ship?" Uh...

Just last week I got the old "Nice cello" comment again. The commenter was a dead ringer for Elle Macpherson, so I just said "thanks".
  5. I'm always getting comments, usually from nice looking ladies it seems, and they always set themselves up......." It must be awful, carrying that big thing around with you all day!" And, of course I have to say...." It's no picnic hauling this bass around either!"
  6. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I was asked not too long ago by a kid at the community center's open acoustic night:

"Does that have the same notes as a regular bass?"

My reply: "Yep, and a whole bunch in between."
  7. tsolo

Aug 24, 2002
    Ft. Worth
    That was a set up question and before wife and kids (BWK) I'd of fielded it. Now I would have just stood there with that 'deer in the headlights' look - and said 'Yes'.
  8. Fabulous reply!
    By the way, anybody notice what the kid assumed to be a regular bass? Now THAT is depressing.
  9. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Yep. There have been a few threads pop up over on the TalkSlab side about this very issue. Pups bent out of shape that people call their slab a guitar. When people like me sound off that I don't mind it because, in fact, it is a guitar, they really get upset.
  10. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    LMAO! Thanks to Paul for this one! You just made a potentially suck-ass morning all better....
  11. I get called to play quite a few pick-up gigs for private parties, where the host will invariably say "You sound great! How long has your group been together?" whereupon we all look at our watches.

It hasn't happened yet, but I'm waiting for someone to ask "How many members are in your quartet?" or "How late does the band play?" so I can reply, "About a half a beat behind the drummer."
  12. Yeah, a common question we all hear is: " Do you do this for a living?" My answer is: "Not a very good one"
  13. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    I've always enjoyed when someone asks me how long I've played (drums), so I can tell them I've wanted to play in the worst way since I was kid, and now I do. :)
  14. Danksalot

Apr 9, 2003
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    Endorsing Artist: SIT Strings
    My band was discussing which way we should end a song and I asked the guitar player which one he liked.

He said, "well, it's ten of one, a half dozen of the other."

I looked at him with a puzzled look on my face and he said "it's an expression my mom used to say. It means that it doesn't matter."
  15. kip

Sep 11, 2002
    Sausalito, Ca
    On several occasions, when flying to a show, some young suit, knowing we were a band, would approach and declare that he'd like to hire us for a small party, just him and his skank. The answer was a delicious "not on your best day, sport."
  16. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    I had a newlywed groom corner our quartet once, after the wedding gig, and ask us to service his new bride up in the room, saying "I can't keep up with her". She was standing right next to us, smiling and nodding. Since I'm very happily married, I declined; not sure about the other three "members" :smug:
  17. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    Folks, we have our winner.
  18. As I slipped my Chrissy into her case last Monday night...

"Is that a bass fiddle, or are you just happy to see me?"

I was actually stuck....