Amazing. Subs collide underwater

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by syciprider, Feb 16, 2009.

1. syciprider

syciprider Inactive

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Odds are incredible but they are still odds. Good to see no one was hurt.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090216/ap_on_re_eu/eu_britain_sub_collision

2. Hi.

Just great. And that's the story that leaked. How many other similar ones have been swept under the rug? IN THE WEST...

Regards
    Sam

3. PSPookie

PSPookie Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    So, do you think a chick was driving :ninja:

4. syciprider

syciprider Inactive

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    TFH :rollno:

Contrary to popular belief, sailors too are ordinary human beings given to discussing stuff with their families and friends. If a government tries to cover up an incident that several hundred ppl are privvy to, chances are, it will not stay covered up very long. Especially if the knowing parties lives were placed in danger. They will want someone to hear their story.

5. RED5

RED5

Jan 14, 2008
    Suffolk County,NY
    This is true. It's been said in my presence that these occurences are fairly common, and who comes back to port is telling the truth.

6. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Do like the Russians - cover it up, threaten, intimidate and when all hope of secrecy is lost, blame it all on the USA FTW.

Thank god no one was injured in this one though, it could have been far worse.

7. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    ...Talking on a cell phone

8. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    ... while putting on makeup in the rear view mirror :D

9. lopxtc

lopxtc

Jan 18, 2007
    St. Louis, MO
    It is actually fairly common ... do some research and you can find books written on the subject during cold war times.

If anything it goes to show you just how good these subs are at staying quiet. Most likely operating on passive sonar, so they are just listening versus actively pinging and trying to find something. So both subs were quiet enough to not realize the other was there until to late.

Aaron

10. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    I never understood planes crashing in the air.Its the SPACE dammit how can't you avaiod something like that?
    (I know I know navigation faults etc. but stil..)

And subs crashing?Thats new to me and almost as amazing as planes.

11. Nope. Texting.

12. This reminds me of the movie 'Down Periscope', I wonder if they thought it was just a large whale...

13. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    So if a French sub and a British sub collide into each other, what nationality is the baby?

14. :eyebrow:

15. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    I just bought a new car with Blind Spot Monitoring. It lets me know when I have a car in my blind spot and beeps if I happen to activate my turn signal. I wonder if they decided to skip that option when they bought the subs and go with the Bose stereo instead....or the extra cup holders.

16. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Nope.

(it was the flip down DVD player)

17. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    The amazing thing is France and England each have 4 Nuclear Subs with Missiles in their fleets. That means that two of their total eight subs managed to collide in what like eight gazillion squire miles of ocean. I'm sure it was make up and cellphone.:smug:

18. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio!

Jul 3, 2001
    Santa Ana, Calif.
    Former Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    This is what happens when you mix right-drive and left-drive.

19. but who's fault is it for insurance purposes? are they gonna need a rental while their main sub is in the shop? what about medical bills?

20. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    Not the first time. During the cold war there were a few incidents between subs.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021