Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amazing tone experience today (epifani content)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Obsius29A, Aug 20, 2002.

1. Obsius29A

Obsius29A

Dec 20, 1999
    Huntington, NY
    Hey all, haven't posted here for a long time because I've been focusing on singing and guitar playing for a while, but recently realized that I just can't resist bass playing! I really really love it. ANYway... I was at guitar center today helping my friend pick an acoustic amp, and I quickly walk into the bass room to see if there is anything interesting. To my surprise, there were three brand new Epifani cabs.

The models they had available were the 3x10, the 4x10, and the 2x12 which I didn't get to try as much as I wanted to. They had a different bass head hooked up to each cab, but I managed to swap the cables when they weren't looking, so I was able to A/B the cabs with a number of heads.

First off was the 3x10 powered by an Ampeg SVT-3. I was sort of biased against the Ampeg, because I had heard that their non-tube amps weren't terrific and that there were some quality issues. Anyway, I plugged a Warwick neck through thumb into it, and was absolutely blown away by the tone. Totally thick, agressive but sweet, extremely full, but still articulate. I could hear this fitting into a band format extremely well. The rig was plenty loud for my needs, but not painfully so. I then plugged in a stingray and the clarity improved tremendously, and it cut a lot better, but some of the sweetness and thunder was lost.

I then checked out the 4x10 with an Ashdown MAG400 head. The tone was above average, but nowhere near as mind blowing as the previous rig. I plugged the Ampeg into that cab, and was met with a lot of the same stuff I loved about the tone w/ the 3x10. The 4x10 was possibly fuller sounding but I thought the 3x10 actually pushed more air and sounded more like what I wanted to hear. The ashdown into the 3x10 didn't thrill me as much as any other combination.

So now I am definitely interested in the Epifani line of cabs. That 3x10 was extremely impressive, and I was blown away by the Ampeg. I really thought it sounded very large and musical, without a hint of harshness or flub.

Anyone else have any experience with an Ampeg/Epifani rig? Does anyone have any recommendations for other heads to use with the Epifani? The Ampeg rocked but I'm also curious about Aguilar's 750, and the EBS Fafner. Also very curious about a demeter/alembic/kern pre and crown rig or some such thing, but am afraid that it will be too fat and won't do the articulate thing that the Ampeg does (plus I some times play with a pick and need something that can handle that).

Any comments?

2. boomerang

boomerang Guest

Dec 9, 2001
    Canada
    how much less $ was the 3x10 than the 4x10 ?

3. Obsius29A

Obsius29A

Dec 20, 1999
    Huntington, NY
    A good couple of hundred it looked like. I wouldn't buy these peices from Guitar Center.

4. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    I'm surprised these were at guitar center.

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Ah, another Epi believer! Those cabs blow me away. I've played a 2x10 powered by an EBS HD350 and a 2x12 powered by that Warwick Quad IV Pro (or something).

And if I didn't already have my soul sold to Eden (not to mention my money tied up) I'd go with Epifani in a heartbeat.

6. Obsius29A

Obsius29A

Dec 20, 1999
    Huntington, NY
    how did the warwick and the EBS match up? I am pretty sure I want epifani cabs, but I'm sort of still debating between heads. Sort of leaning towards the Ampeg SVT-4

7. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    I use and Epifani 4x10 with an Alembic FX-1, powered by a Crest LT1000. I prefer to use this set up(the pre and power amp) than a head. It's is easier and cheaper to buy different preamps then to by different heads. As far as finding an articulate sounding rig, Demeter is the best sounding thing I've heard. Or an Avalon U5. If you don't want stuff to get in the way of the sound of your bass. I find allot of amps sound like they try to cover up the sound of your bass instead of just eq and amplifying. Epifani is a good choice for a cabinet. Go with whatever your ears tell you. I have found that Epifani cabs are very colored in the low end department but if that's what you dig. I like it for some things. With and Epifani you should NEVER have to worry about volume. Well, the sound guy should!!

8. stroy05

stroy05 Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Basses, Noble Amps, Aguilar Amps, JHAudio Inears
    I was in the same situation as you are in until yesturday. I was looking for a head unit for an Epifani 310 until i called Austin Bass Traders. There they had a Demeter 310. I played through a Euphonic Audio iAmp350 into the demeter 310. This combonation was so good.

I have compared the Epifani with the bergantino. I like the epifani better..but comparing the epifani with the demeter there was no comparison. The demeter voicing is just amazing. Totaly clear. The low end of this cab was perfect not too much and not too little. The mids are not honky as alot of cabs are. They are very articulate. And the highs were not separate like on a lot of cabs. The relationship with the mids and highs work like peanut butter and jelly. The highs arent harsh at all, very crisp and clean. This cab did it for me so much that i purchased this amp/cab combination.

Good luck with your search for the right head for the Epifani. You might want to call Nick Epifani and ask him some questions. that is what i did and it helped a lot.

9. Obsius29A

Obsius29A

Dec 20, 1999
    Huntington, NY
    stroy,

What rig did you end up with?

10. stroy05

stroy05 Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Basses, Noble Amps, Aguilar Amps, JHAudio Inears
    iamp350/Demeter 310

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The Warwick was no slouch, I could see buying it. But the EBS slew it. EBS heads in general tend to kill, but mated with the Epi's I think it's about a perfect a match as you're gonna get. I thumped with a NS EUB 5er, a couple Pedulla's a Modulus, and a Rob Allen, all of them sung through the EBS/Epi setup.

It'd be $$$ but oh so worth it.

12. Obsius29A

Obsius29A

Dec 20, 1999
    Huntington, NY
    Gargh... decisions decisions... EBS/Fafner? Ampeg SVT-4? Demeter/Poweramp?

Do the EBS or SVT have equivolent preamps? Is there a way to get that sound w/o their power section?

Also, I really need to try A/Bing the 3x10 with the 2x12 as the 2x12 might be more my thing.

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yes. Ampeg has the SVP-Pro, a dedicated pre-amp, and EBS has two Preamps (though if they are the exact preamp found in the HD350, I dunno). Ask our own Adrian Garcia about the EBS preamps.

14. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    omg,

dood, i was sooooo close in getting that very cab instead of going with my B-2. i still have the email from Glenn after posting up an ad from Bassgear.

lol, soo lucky you are. sounds like a cab sweet as early mornin' honey. any more comments on it? you should post up a new thread on it, and tell us more in detail about it like weight, finish, low B handling, tones with other amps you've tried, etc. inquiring minds wanna know... ;)

if the moons, stars, and the rats in the back alley way were all aligned in perfect sync, and i started backing Angie Stone or Alicia Keys, i'd a helluva time deciding whether to go with a pair of Acme B-4's, or a pair of Demeter BSC-1's.

oi, decisions can be soo hard in your imagination, no? :D

btw, Nick's hilarious. he'll chew your ear off.

15. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Ashdown?? Epifani?? Sheesh...apparently the Guitar Centers in New York are WAY better stocked in the bass section then they are in Texas. Never seen either of those brands in a Texas GC. They pretty much don't stray outside of SWR, Ampeg, GK territory.

brad cook

16. Obsius29A

Obsius29A

Dec 20, 1999
    Huntington, NY
    Damn... choices choices. I have to check out those Demeter cabs, but feel like I'm not good enough to be so picky. I just want huge, fat agressive bass tones for the kind of music that I like to do. I'm seriously thinking about the SVT-4, but also the Fafner. Otherwise, it'll be the demeter pre. Maybe I'll go absolutely nuts and run a SVT-4 into a 2x12, and a pre/power into the 3x10 ;-)

17. I'm in the same boat. I have a Epifani 3x10 that I'm looking to match with a preamp/amp set up. I have nice basses and like a clean sound but like to slap and dirty it up at times. I called Epifani to order a cover and ended up speaking to them for about 20 mins. about my current rig( with SWR SM 900). They are very cool and knowledgable about all different combinations (they tried them all themselves) and feel the best sound comes from the pre/poweramp setup. Just pick your pre ( the SVP-pro might work if you like the SVT-4). Also note the impedence (5.3 ohms on mine) can be a problem for some heads if you're using another cabnet.

They suggest Crown for warmth but liked the Stewarts for ease (light). They are also close to releasing their own preamp.

Call them up. 718-832-4664