Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amazing Value!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Thunderbird91, Oct 24, 2005.

1. That's one of their backline series. Those are not half as good as the normal GK stuff.

Welcome to the forums by the way :smug:
    But don't put those threads here.. or it has to be a very old rare amp for 1 buck or something. Everybody here has searched musician's friend for a few times I suppose.

2. Oh does that mean you wouldn't recommend it?

3. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    I'd look into www.avatarspeakers.com check out that website along with the awesome deals Dave has with the heads he sells.

4. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I'm a freak for the GK pro heads.

That Backline setup probably wouldn't be too bad; remember, though, that it's only 125 watts - that's not much compared to pro rigs.

I started-out with a little Hartke 1400 head - that's pretty similar. I really liked that Hartke tone, and it was gigable. I didn't often need full power from it, but I've always run a very compressed signal (Boss CS-3), AND don't mind a little distortion, so I was getting my money's-worth out of it, for sure!

I dunno, really -- I still feel like recomending one of those Avatar packages with the little Hartke head. I have a feeling that you'd want to get out of that GK cab as you advanced on bass, but any of the Avatars are full-pro-quality all the way; you'd replace the head, keeping the old, original one as a backup, and maybe go with another matching or complimentary Avatar cab to bring'er up to a full-stack.

One problem when thinking of upgrading is that you'd have to get the 4-ohm cab in order to get the full 200W out of the little head. Then if you wanted to upgrade to a two-bottom stack, you'd have to go with a head that would handle two ohms... ..But you don't have to double-up the bottoms...

I'd go with... hm: the 4-Ohm Avatar 1X15 Kappa - that handles 600W - and the Hartke model 2000 head. That'd cost you a little over $400, but I bet it'd be a lot'a rig for the money - and pretty loud and 'nadsy for the 200W rating. Then in the future you slap a 500W pro GK head on there like mine... Devistating!

Now someone'll chime-in to tell you that a fifteen isn't punchy enough... Yah-yah - OK, an Avatar 2X10 then; you can't go wrong with the Avatars.

(do the one-fifteen, man!)

Joe

5. thanks alot. oh and by the way there its not likely i will be gigging any time soon. and if I would, 115 watts would be plenty. no huge gigs any time soon.

6. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Well, Dude: your name is "thunder". 100W won't give you much thunder. Two-hundred and an efficient cab might just get you into range, though. If you want to play the smallest gig in the world OUTSIDE, you'd be surprised at how much you might need to put some oomph out there twenty feet from the stage - which is twenty-five or thirty feet from your rig.

Just tonight I was jamming with a conga player in a big barn loft. This guy was wailin' on 'em, and I'll bet I was up to full tavern-gig volume - a couple hundred watts, I'm sure - to hear and feel myself in there with those raging skins. ..And my cab is pretty sensistive - 100dB @ 1W/1m.

Joe

7. oh well, im not even in a band, and don't intend to. And my name is "thunderbird" named after the bass i have.

8. There's a review of the Backline 600 head in the last issue of Bass Guitar Magazine. You should still be able to get a copy of that at Borders or somewhere. The Backline 250 is exactly the same just lower power.

9. Look in the little Ibanez combo amps (a combo is a big block with a speaker and a amp in one). Those things sound really good for the money and are perfect for bedroom practise :smug:

Good luck with the bassing!

10. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    WoW!

That is an awesome price on a new rig!

Although 125w isn't much, at that price you can always upgrade to a bigger head and add a 210 cab.

Not bad at all.

There are alot of 115 combos in the same price and watt range but with this setup you can always play mix-n-match as you get more gear.

:D

Joe.

11. Finally someone answered my question!