1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amazing...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by P. Lacey, Sep 29, 2008.

1. P. Lacey

P. Lacey

May 15, 2008
    Wow guys, just had the most amazing feeling I've ever had on the ole bass geetar. I have been playing for close to two years now, and absolutely love it. Music has been what got me through the hard times.

Here's what happened... I was sitting on the couch, and an ad for the new Bond film came on. I thought "Sweet, that looks like it could be alright". My trails of thought are hard to explain, but somehow I got into thinking about how awesome it would be to do a hard rock cover of the theme song infront of an audience of 100,000. So, upon picturing that image, I started to play. I cannot describe what I felt next, but I'm sure you guys can relate to it. First time I tried it, I got it spot on. I wasn't thinking, I wasn't struggling to work out what came next, I was just completely in the moment. I felt the music, and my fingers seemed to move by themselves. It was fantastic. Now, granted, it is rediculously easy song to play, but I have never experienced that before.

Guys, I am only 15, but this feeling, which can only be described as being completely and totally "in the zone", has captivated me. Playing bass has always brought me a sense of joy I have never felt before. But this was something else entirely... I am now no longer curious about drugs, simply because I don't think any drug could match that :smug:.

Sorry for the long post, but I needed to get that out there to people who I am sure will understand what I am on about. I am also curious to hear your experiences of this. Post away dudes :D

2. Joel S.

Joel S. Reserved for future witty use...

Jul 9, 2008
    Yea, it's a good feeling when things start to click for the first time. :bassist:

3. ysand

ysand

Mar 26, 2005
    Athens/Greece
    Making music is the most addictive drug! :)

4. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    If you think it felt good on the couch, wait til you do it onstage!

I predict you'll like it even more.

5. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    I was like that the first time I went to a jazz concert. It was with the Scandinavian Jazz Quartet back in around -94 I think, when I was around 16. My guitar teacher played in that ensemble. It was an absolutely fabulous experience that I will never forget.

Today, I still can't play jazz though. I know some jazz harmony and can play some walking bass, but that's where it ends. I simply haven't practiced enough. That sucks.

6. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    Somehow you had me associating in a different direction there...;)

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Clearly SOMEBODY has never done heroin before!

Wait 'til you get the chance to play with a good drummer... I mean a really good drummer. Some drummers make it so everything you play sounds much much better, it's a pretty awesome feeling.

8. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    :D

Now get your mind out of the gutter, mister!

9. AlexPrime

AlexPrime

Sep 21, 2008
    Man, I truly clicked yesterday. I was played some powerviolence/noisecore crap in my buddy's garage... And I just stopped thinking, and played. Learning/writing songs got some much easier, and actually enjoyable.

10. WickedPissah

WickedPissah

Jan 22, 2008
    Boston
    It's nuts, aint it?

11. Zombbg4

Zombbg4

Jul 15, 2008
    Olympia,Wa
    Oh man what a great feeling it is indeed...to me sometimes it's like you just go by instinct. I'll get into a solo or a groove and it's like i'm watching my hands, not actually playing, and they're donig everything i want them to and i dig it so much i get an unexplainable "high". If only i could turn it on when ever i wanted...

12. P. Lacey

P. Lacey

May 15, 2008
    yeah, it was fantastic. I knew you guys would understand. And yes, I have no doubt on stage that feeling would intensify 10X hey?

So how often does this happen to you seasoned players?

13. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

Jan 21, 2005
    that feeling is one of the main reasons why i play bass. allways after it, not allways getting it.

keep on grooving!

14. Musicians of all type channel energy through themselves and their instruments..... One can get to a point where the music is coming through you instead of from you...its trippy aint it? The next step for you is to achieve the same state of consciousness in a group setting, A BAND ... when 4 or 5 people hit that same zone at the same time, magic happens. First we crawl , then we walk, and then through dedication we may fly. Jazz teacher once told me, "You learn all of this theory, modes,scales and chords, so that you may one day forget them all and play effortlessly."

15. BigNoise

BigNoise

Nov 19, 2007
    Knoxville, TN
    Congrats my friend you have experienced the famed "click" and from here on out things will be down hill........not really but that sounded good!!