1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Amazon cloud player

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mykstar, Aug 6, 2012.

1. mykstar

mykstar

Aug 31, 2009
    I have been purchasing my music/mp3s thru amazon for a few years now. I usually click on the thing that says "download to your computer" instead of the cloud player. Tonight I didn't get that option. Did amazon force that cloud player on its users? With this cloud player I can see and download albums I purchased years ago. It says I can save up to ten devices. Does anyone know what the dark side of this cloud player is?

Please, please... No simple answers of "just use iTunes"

2. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    I just discovered the same thing yesterday. My problem was that I successfully purchased a few mp3s (they showed up in the Cloud Player, along with past purchases, as you said)... but then, after I gave the command to download them to my computer, I couldn't find them anywhere on the computer! The instructions say that they will be stored in the music folder, or in Windows Media Player, but no such luck. I'm running Windows, with Firefox as the browser. Call me old fashioned, but I like to burn CDs of songlists so that I can easily listen and memorize while I'm driving. Having to access the stupid Cloud Player on my laptop to listen to the songs will do me no good. (And I've got an audition on Tuesday.) HELP! :) And yes-- iTunes users need not apply!

3. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Oughta be in \My Documents\My Music\Amazon or something like that if I recall correctly. I was indifferent to their until I had a drive failure and I lost my MP3s. Some I'm going to have to rip again, some I have on CDs in the car, and the rest that I wanted to listen to again I just checked in the cloud player and downloaded again, way easier than ripping the MP3s all over again.

4. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    That makes perfect sense, but when I look in My Music, there's no Amazon folder there. :confused:
    I also clicked on the program which begins with "amz---" (which is supposed to do the job, presumably), and then it showed up in my Firefox "Downloads". But still no new mp3s in the C drive. :confused:

5. the downloads window used to have a button that says "open containing folder" or you can drag and drop to your desktop from the downloads window. or go to the downloads folder.

6. You could always do a search with windows for the song name on your hard drive and then just right click the file when found and look at the properties. That should say where its stored.

7. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Tried that right away. Didn't retrieve the song titles. They didn't make it to the hard drive.

8. Webtroll

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Sorry man, if I was at home I'd check to see how I have it configured. What operating system are you running?

9. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Thanks, Web T., I appreciate it.
    I'm using Windows, but I'd also need to go home to check on the version, etc. (Not Vista, I know that.)

10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Did you download individual mp3's or an album? If it's an album, what you get is an amz file. You'll still need the Amazon downloading software to get the actual album. I just experienced the same thing when I just bought the new Larry Graham album.

11. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    Yeah, I've run into this recently too. Once again, the age old adage was my solution; do a search. After that it's easy.

12. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Thanks to everyone for your help.
    The problem was that I hadn't successfully downloaded the Amazon Downloader. Now everything's fine.

13. Webtroll

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    :cool:

14. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...just some wanna share some Amazon Cloud cluster flops.
    First off, I kinda like it (all things considered). That said-

I'm a bit 'anal' about the correct artwork. From comments I've read @Amazon's site, I am not alone in this regard. I have tried some "work-arounds" that worked...still-

Here are some examples of what I'm talking about-
    The Merely Amusing-
    George Harrison 'folder' = Kindle thumbnail is Ringo Starr

Bob Mintzer 'folder' = Kindla thumbnail is Jaco

The Producers 'folder' = some kinda Hank Williams album cover (although this magically 'repaired itself' when I added Coelacanth into the Cloud.

Golden Earring's Moontan is displayed as a Wayne's World soundtrack.

Jackson 5's Maybe Tomorrow is displayed as some kinda Ballroom Dancing album.

Some of Miles Davis' albums...with very iconic artwork (IMO)...come up incorrect (like the Bitches Brew box set coming up as Big Fun); some come up as some generic-looking Miles Davis album. Same for Coltrane's Blue Trane. No iconic artwork...some BS Coltrane Hits album in its stead.
    ...etc.

The Absurd-
    Betty Davis (once married to Miles Davis/possible fling w/ Hendrix)...her music sounds like Sly & the Family Stone w/ a female vocalist...Kindle thumbnail = Bette Davis, the actress. LOL.

Don Cherry, the iconic Jazz trumpeter from Ornette Coleman's bands...Kindle thumbnail is Don Cherry, the iconic hockey announcer from Canada. Please.

Last night, streaming the Cloud thru my TV...I noticed an album with the Wizard of Oz 4-some on the cover. This...this is what is showing for Blood Ulmer's Music Revelation Ensemble?!?!?! My side hurt from laughing so hard on that.

15. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Couple months ago, I bought an album from Amazon & the Auto-Rip thingee popped up...I read what it was about & was a bit pissed...until I read the part where Amazon said past purchases (back to early 2000s) could be eligible.
    Bam...about 200 albums (past purchases) went right into my Cloud.

16. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I dig when you buy the hard disc you also get a download too. It takes awhile for the mail to bring me my CDs out here and I dig being able to listen to the album I bought on its release date. Abstract Logix does that with some of their artist too.

17. completely confused as to why auto-rip would piss you off. buy a cd you automatically get it in your cloud player as well.

18. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Dude...I was pissed until I read the part about past purchases possibly being AutoRip-elgible.
    I have bought a ton of cds from Amazon since I going online in the late '90s...was happy that 200+ albums counted & were dumped into the Cloud. Life is good. ;)

Although-
    On Friday night, a 2-album on 1-cd purchase-
    Only the 2nd album (10 songs) went into the Cloud.
    Called Amazon...was credited with $10 to buy the missing 10 songs from the 1st album.
    Life is still good.