1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Amazon Deals WITH Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Hot Deals' started by tastybasslines, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    @two fingers , thanks for posting.

Hey, thanks again for buying the book, and apologies on the deal I originally posted. Amazon allows $.99 Kindle deals a few times a year, and I didn't know I was eligible for one. They only last a week.

The good news is I enabled things so that if you purchased the paperback you can now download the Kindle version for free. Just go to the Kindle page and click to buy. It will come up as $.00 in your cart.

The 99 cent deal is good until Sept 19th, then it goes back to $7.53. I'm stoked that it's gone back on the Amazon best seller list. Currently #6 in a health and fitness category.

https://www.amazon.com/50-Things-Be...swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1483405918&sr=8-1

MonetBass, mikew31, FingerDub and 3 others like this.
  2. purpleflyhunter

purpleflyhunter

Feb 11, 2005
    If I may, I've been a part of the discussion regarding Joe's book and I'm all for people putting down their thoughts and experiences for others to enjoy. However, I'd like to warn people who suffer from chronic ailments such as the one's described in his book against generalized self help books as a "cure" for mental health.

Please, please understand what your reading and the source from which it comes. It seems Joe, albeit a fine fella that cares about others, does not appear to hold credentials that may garner him any expertise on the subject matters at hand. Please keep perspective as you enjoy his readings and suggestions. I'm assuming a Certified Health Instructor has more to do with physical health than mental health. (He is in New York and each state oversees its own credentialing processes. I'll add, credentialing is the lowest level of expertise that one can lay claim to having.) Yes, I get the holistic approach and the importance of healthy behavioral choices but "holistic" is beyond just non-western culture medicine. Holistic is in addition to....

Ill say, I appreciate that he notes in his introduction that this is "beginning the path." But he later suggests, "these are proven methods," implying resolutions. I'm not sure who proved them or what they proved.

(Please note, I have not read his book. Purchasing the book would require me to patron the ideals in which I'm warning against. I do not support these avenues to mental health.)

Clinical mental health can be a severe disorder that disrupts many lives and can ultimately lead to death. For example, Robin Williams didn't die from asphyxiation; he died from depression. It needs to be taken seriously if it is a serious matter. Although a nice afternoon read can make make you feel enriched and empowered (I'm all for it), I urge you to seek medical advise from a clinically trained individual if that is the level of severity at hand. A good counselor will not (can't, actually) provide or administer medications. They have been trained to help you with these issues.

You're not alone. Joe cares, I care, and your fellow bass brethren care.

(Joe, please feel free to contact me via PM if you feel I have spoken out of place. My message is not against you or your book. Rather, I'm attempting to advocate for individuals that struggle with clinical issues and may misinterpret your findings and suggestions.)

3. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    I will.

purpleflyhunter likes this.
  4. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    I decided I'd rather do this publicly.

I can appreciate your post, though I'd appreciate more if you read my book before commenting as you did. I feel your response was an attempt to discredit my experience, knowledge and work - and I feel it's unwarranted.

My book clearly states who I am, along with my experience and education. It makes clear also that all of the suggestions offered can be used along with medical treatment, advises against anyone already in treatment to stop that treatment, and offers not a single harmful suggestion. It is a book meant to help, and many (though not all) of the suggestions have been clinically proven to be more effective for depression and anxiety than medication. Though that's not the focus of the book.

Medical treatment on the other hand may very well be harmful, and it is all too often offered to people as a first course of action. My book is exactly what the title implies. It's 50 things a person can do before deciding to see a psychiatrist, with the first one being to get a thorough physical exam. If those 50 things are practiced and don't help, one may very well be in need of psychiatric assistance. There are undoubtedly people who need medical treatment. My book, again, never says nor implies that there aren't.

It's obvious that you're very educated, and seemingly even a better writer than me. That however doesn't make you right. I'd urge you to write your own book based on your own beliefs. I know that there are opponents to mine. We can however co-exist happily, and I promise not to try to discredit anything you publish.

I'll add that Robin Williams was being medically treated for his depression (you brought him up, not me). As were the Columbine kids, that young man at the Batman movie, and many, many more. That's a can of worms though I don't present in the book, and don't really want to discuss here. I would be more than happy however to open that discussion up if you choose in a PM, or even in the Lobby.

I truly hope one day the medical community starts re-thinking the battle against depression. And starts working closely together with the holistic community. I could write another entire book on that, but yeah... I've said more than intended so I'll stop now.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  5. FingerDub

FingerDub

Jan 8, 2016
    Do you have to list it for 99 Cents Only? Or can you list it for like a 1.99, or 2.99?

6. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    They call them countdown deals. They countdown the time for one week. How it usually goes is it starts at 99 cents (that's the lowest you can go), and goes up in increments over the 7 days landing back at the original price, in this case $7.53.

I chose to just keep it at $.99 the entire week to get it out to as many people as possible, at a cost of next to nothing.

I'll add that with the advertising (Facebook and Amazon) that I do when I do these deals, I wind up not making any money. Though I'm toning down the Facebook ads this time around - they can get costly.

7. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Joe probably shouldn't get into a debate with you out in the open. I, in the other hand.....

You didn't read the book but seem to cast many aspersions on the methods included therein and Joe's qualifications.

You couldn't be more wrong about the premise, the suggestions or the angle Joe is coming from ....having LIVED it.

You are so incorrect, in fact, that I humbly suggest that you edit/delete your post until you have either discussed it with Joe or....you know.....read the book.

8. JimFog

JimFog Supporting Member

Sep 8, 2000
    Phila, Pa
    Ummm.......about those "Hot Deals".........?!?!?!

ckuhn, R&B, jimmyb and 2 others like this.
  9. Locrian

Locrian

Jun 6, 2002
    SF
    ^^^ Yup. What he said.

10. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    You guys need to go dig up the original Amazon deal thread :).

Andyman001 likes this.
  11. Locrian

Locrian

Jun 6, 2002
    SF
    I like a little discussion with my deals - especially when the discussion is *about* said deals. At some point though it's clear a new thread has cracked its egg and needs to leave the nest.

12. dsamudio

dsamudio

Oct 22, 2007
    Fort Worth Texas
    Agree.

I think a thread change is need for the book deal and discussion.

DS

japhy4529 likes this.
  13. sears

sears Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2005
    ec, md
    fenjazz likes this.
  14. dave79

dave79 Rest well Fish Supporting Member

15. Burwabit

Burwabit Likes guitars that tune good and firm feelin women Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  16. dave79

dave79 Rest well Fish Supporting Member

17. Burwabit

Burwabit Likes guitars that tune good and firm feelin women Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    Looks like Amazon's scale is different...
    New
    Refurbished
    Used - Like New
    Used - Very Good
    Used - Good
    Used - Acceptable

Yes, it maybe should fall in that last category. When you see the glue under the faceplate, you know there's an issue haha.

18. purpleflyhunter

purpleflyhunter

Feb 11, 2005
    ^^^
    Gone already?

19. You have to select the other seller. They are closing out new old stock gibsons

purpleflyhunter likes this.