Amazon Drones

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Duuuuuuuuuude, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Wow that's cool

2. TalkBass Sponsor

3. handofseven

handofseven Soaking up the cathode rays... Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2010
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Sooo, you know, to ease the population into being comfortable with having drones flying around for delivery... not surveillance. ;)

Can't wait to see what kinds of mayhem will ensue from all the unscrupulous people trying to hack, shoot down or otherwise screw with the delivery of those drones... Not to mention "technical difficulties".

4. Ziltoid

Ziltoid

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    It was much cooler in the other thread.

5. Duuuuuuuuuude

Duuuuuuuuuude

Nov 30, 2005
    Denver
    So was your mom

6. Ziltoid

Ziltoid

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    Real clever.

7. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Your mom was real clever.

8. Ziltoid

Ziltoid

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    [​IMG]

9. Ziltoid

Ziltoid

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    I agree guys, kindergarden was the best :D

10. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2015
    the Heart of Darkness
    I'm not a very nice person, deep deep down.
  11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I happen to know they are building the infrastructure to support the drone flights now in the PNW.
    They've been doing so for over a year.

-Mike

12. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2015
    the Heart of Darkness
    I'm not a very nice person, deep deep down.
    I bought an acoustic pad for my speaker cabinet today, and hours later realized I could have saved $5, and gotten it faster, from Amazon.
    I'd like to see a drone carrying a speaker cabinet though, LMAO!
    :cool:

13. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Drones are already a part of our daily lives folks, just relax off into the idea of 24/7 "eyes in the sky". You honestly didn't think our Uncle would waste such cool war time technology only on war did you?

The FAA is currently working on sorting hundreds of thousands of air space variance requests from local to federal law enforcement. And let's not forget the NSA and a few other semi military Intel units hunting domestic terrorists.

As for commercial and civilian use? Not so much. We'll be treated to tons of on the spot live footage of running gun battles and car chases, but pizza by drone? Don't hold your breath.

14. OldDog52

OldDog52

Jan 1, 2011
    No Amazon drones here yet but I'm pretty sure Amazon has a private contractor making deliveries in the general neighborhood in an old white GMC Safari van. I kept seeing this van on my daily morning walk. Finally paid more attention and saw they were delivering packages from Amazon.

15. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

Oct 17, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Every service delivers for Amazon, the USPS, UPS Fed Ex Express and Ground, Ontrac, Uber drivers.. All of them except UPS which pulls older diesal fueled trucks out of mothballs rent out commercial vans to carry the load and the post Christmas parcels still haven't gone down to the previous normal levels a week after presents were due. This Christmas season it was FedEx that didn't meet their Christmas commitments like UPS did two years ago

16. ZenG

ZenG

Dec 13, 2013
    Near the fridge
    Perhaps you all saw the footage of a competitive downhill skier being just inches away from severe injury when a drone crashed out of the sky onto the course . And it was fairly big as current drones go.

This isn't the first time a drone has crashed.

The more drones that are up there...the more drone crashes there will be.

17. OldDog52

OldDog52

Jan 1, 2011
    The proliferation of drones seems worrisome. Just like you can't have chaos in radio transmitters (pirates) or unregulated food vendors (food poison) logically you can't have unregulated amateur use of airspace.

Although I'd be keen to try flying my own drone equipped with a GoPro. :uhoh:

Amazon seems to have figured out which carrier can be first to deliver a given package on a given day and route it very quickly. Whether it's UPS, USPS, or the unmarked white-van contractor.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016