Amazon Go

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MJ5150, Sep 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA

I've been waiting for years for someone to develop this technology.
    I'll be in Seattle Friday, and I'm going to try it out. I can't wait.
    Now....they need restaurants that weigh you when you come in, then weigh you on the way out and charge you by the ounce, or for some people by the pound.

-Mike

2. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Space age! Pretty darn amazing considering I still remember when grocery items still had price tags so that someone could ring it up manually.

Gaolee likes this.
  3. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

One more way for identity theft to work. I like pencils and paper. Now get offa my ... ah, never mind.

Oddly and btmpancake like this.
  4. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    it's a giant vending machine/automat. funny that they showed an actual worker in the vid. they don't need no stinkin' workers. #robotstockers

MJ5150 likes this.
  5. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Well, I guess I'm not going after all Friday....
    Amazon Go is currently open to Amazon employees in our Beta program.

-Mike

6. FingerDub

FingerDub Inactive

Jan 8, 2016
    Yeah it's pretty awesome. I imagine that with Amazon's already amazing return policy that if you got some stinky beef or wanted to return some other product that you could take it back into the store and put it in some sort of return bin and will credit your account just as easily as they charge you for walking out with stuff.

MJ5150 likes this.
  7. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    "Stinky Beef" would be a good band name.

Oddly, elgecko, Gaolee and 2 others like this.
  8. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Groceries are getting super competitive....and it will work out well for us.

We got a card in the mail about WalMart Supercenter front door pickup service. If you spend $50 or more you get $10 off. The service is free if you spend $30 or more.

So my wife and I downloaded the app and set up an account. Each of us added things during the day as we thought of them. During dinner we had a short conversation about it and added a couple more items. It will be ready for me to pickup at 4:00p.m. today.

That WalMart location is about three miles from my home in the burbs. If this works out, I will pickup up our groceries every Tuesday for a while. Super easy. (My wife had Tuesday off every week and picks up my kids in the afternoon so I don't have to.)

I can also see this very convenient for Sundays. We can order stuff up during breakfast and pick them up after church while we are already out.

We get fresh veggies and/or seafood/meat from either the farmers' market or another store but for average brand-name stuff this is very convenient.

Sam's Club has a new app where you scan your stuff with your phone while you are shopping and then skip the checkout line at the end. You just flash the app at the guy at the exit door showing that you have paid and they will look over your cart. Done.

I'm all for this stuff. Time is everything to me.....even much more important than money. Saving it is a big deal.

Look, "privacy" is a relative term. I keep a low profile on social media. I don't allow people to post pics of my children very often, and when they do NO NAMES.

But, frankly, I don't care if WalMart knows what I eat. I hope this translates to gas stations. I would love to walk in and grab a pack of Four Corner Crackers and a Boss Pepsi and walk out while the rest of the dipsticks are lined up out the door for lottery tickets.

P.S. If you have any idea what "Four Corner Crackers" or a "Boss Pepsi" is yer my people! :D

(And I don't really drink sodas, so no lectures.) :thumbsup:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    MJ5150 likes this.
  9. D M C

D M C Oh good god, this again?

Feb 19, 2015
    North America, Earth
    You shouldn't really dink anything. Poor form.

Oddly, Funky Ghost and two fingers like this.
  10. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA

Will correct. Thanks. :D

11. FingerDub

FingerDub Inactive

Jan 8, 2016
    No more waiting behind screaming babies, which is good for both me and the parents of said babies.

MJ5150 likes this.
  12. Is Amazon owned by Apple?

13. FingerDub

FingerDub Inactive

Jan 8, 2016
    No.

MJ5150 likes this.
  14. When will it be?

15. FingerDub

FingerDub Inactive

Jan 8, 2016
    More like the other way around.

ZenG likes this.
  16. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Likely the other way around someday.....

ZenG likes this.
  17. D M C

D M C Oh good god, this again?

Feb 19, 2015
    North America, Earth
    Is it more like the other way around?

18. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    So, it worked beautifully! I spent EXACTLY 1 minute and 10 seconds at WalMart! The young lady who helped me load my groceries was charming and cheerful. The order was perfect. All I did was tap "on the way" when I left work. They are not even allowed to accept tips.

1 minute and 10 seconds!!!!

MJ5150 likes this.
  19. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    That's awesome bro. I need to see if the Walmart by me does that.

Amazon is also working on the concept with Amazon Fresh, and for this one it's currently open to Prime members at two Seattle locations.

-Mike

20. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown

Feb 16, 2011
    All the local AlMart locations are adding covered drive ups specifically for pick up of items purchased on line. I'm not sure how it works yet, but I've been pretty much only buying on line from the Walton family for a few years now because it saves me from having to hunt a parking spot, then navigate the crowds, especially the chronic shortage of cashiers during the day. I typically go late at night to do my pickups and since the item(s) were paid for when I made the purchase I'm usually in and out in less than 10 minutes.

MJ5150 likes this.