Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amazon Music store

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Against Will, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I'm kind of impressed with the way it's turned out. Originally it was just a bunch of beginner instruments, but now it's evolved very quickly to rival musiciansfriend.

I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience ordering instruments from them? I'm a little concerned because Amazon isn't a dedicated instrument site, but they may have hired specialty staff to handle to instruments. No battered or bruised babies.

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Dang, i thought this would be about the Music, rather than Musical Instruments. Just to derail your thread slightly - the music store is brilliant, I've got several things from it over the past few weeks that shouldnt even be availabl in my country. Great stuff.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I just had a look and they charge $150 for shipping anything worth over $1,000 - which is just about everything I wanted!! ;)

But I am tempted by the Double Basses - I can see another thread coming on .... :)

4. Bruce Lindfield

Grrrr.. I just looked at some DBs and it said :

This item does not ship Expedited to Europe
    • This item does not ship Standard to Europe

:mad:

5. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Sucks living this side of the pond doesnt it Bruce.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Nah ..I don't think I'd ever buy a DB from the US anyway - I imagine it coming in a million pieces and with a huge customs surcharge!! :meh:

What did you buy then? I've looked through and don't think there's anything I'd really want or couldn't get over here - apart from one of the DBs?

But I thought it would be good to take advantage of the very favourable £ to $ exchange at the moment! :)

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I can't speak to that but I CAN tell you that if you ship tortilla chips to China there's a very good chance their customs dept will open them and pour them over anything else that might be in the box.

I think he meant that he bought some CDs.

True that! Too bad I don't have an option to get paid in pounds.

brad cook

8. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Yeah - I meant CDs. I got some Jawbreaker, The Promise Ring, and Rites of Spring.

9. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Amazon's music store is, indeed, brilliant. Especially the zshops they have; I've been able to find out of print/hard to find discs for $4!!! I also found Nomeansno's 'Wrong' for $7, truly kind deals.

10. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I like the Music Store. It has a great selection and is easy to use.

I also like the Musical Instruments. I have found that I can get the same quality items as MF for cheaper.

11. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Anybody looking for a Steinberger bass? These seem priced ridiculously cheap on Amazon!

12. Bruce Lindfield

Those are SPIRITs - not real Steinbergers! :meh:

These have been available at low prices like this, on other websites for years now - like MusicYO...?

What surprised me about the Amazon site was - no Fender Basses :eek: - how can you have a bass guitar store without the single most popular basses of all time?

I suppose you can buy a Sadowsky Metro instead? ;)

13. Bruce Lindfield

Yup - at the moment, they're worth about twice as much as dollars !! :)

So I wouldn't want to change the way I'm paid!! ;)