1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amazon Prime Instant Video - licensing changes?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Killed_by_Death, Mar 1, 2016.

Tags:
  1. I signed up for Amazon Prime a few months ago & I was loving their catalog of movies & television available on demand.

Just since the weekend, that has changed.

Someone mentioned a movie on there that they had just watched this weekend, but when I tuned in to watch it today, it says the licensing will not allow playing the full movie, just the trailer.

All the episodes of Friday the 13th (the series) have gone out of the Prime catalog as well, which I had just been watching them.

Has anyone else noticed any changes in their licensing, or movies available free to Prime users?
    I've got a feeling they're screwing the Prime members out of some videos that were previously available.

This is part of why I cancelled my cable TV service, because they either would raise my rates or if the rate remained the same, they would remove channels from the package.

2. DavetheDude

DavetheDude

Nov 28, 2014
    Germany
    Hm, no, I can't say I experienced that. But I don't know about probable license differences between Germany and the U.S. ...

3. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Content licensing agreements often have time limitations. Whoever licensed Friday the 13th The Series to Amazon probably decided not to renew. Maybe they think they can make more money selling it on DVDs, or some other provider like Hulu or Netflix is willing to pay more for it than Amazon. This stuff happens all the time.

I did do some googling and couldn't find anything specific about FT13th being dropped by Amazon but noticed that it's been almost exactly six months since Amazon got it. Maybe the license agreement was only for six months?

Just speculating. Anyway the owners of the content will follow the money trail every time.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  4. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
  5. I was pretty bummed when Netflix removed the first decade of Saturday Night Live.

When I had Netflix, I used to go to a site that listed what was about to expire. I guess I should do that for Amazon too.

Thanks for the replies & the link.

Oh dear, I just started watching Roswell last night & it's set to expire today.
    I am so lucky.

6. Oh dear, the X-Files goes off Amazon today too. It's going to be a long day!

7. photogdude

photogdude ustonsucs Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, Tx
    Everything on prime and netflix, is
    noooooooo, i just started that bought a month or 2 ago. i'm on the last episode of season 6. i'll have to check netflix or hulu.

8. You can only view the old X-Files on Hulu if you're a subscriber. Netflix had X-Files when I was a subscriber, but as witnessed in this thread, things change.

I see there are 5 episodes of Roswell on Hulu that don't require a subscription.

I guess if all else fails, there's always couchtuner.com.

9. photogdude

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, Tx
    i'm a subscriber, so i'm good to go:)

10. Qlanq

Qlanq

Jul 9, 2007
    Swansea
    Couchtuner seems to be having some problems though.

11. Hmm, it seems you're right. I was trying to watch a series called Star-Crossed on there & it was blipping every so often, audio & video.

I switched to watching something else on Hulu & it's fine.

12. photogdude

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, Tx
    x files still working for me, on Amazon prime

13. You're right. I binge watched Roswell the other day for no reason. I guess WhatsOnPrime.com is wrong.

14. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I know several people using Hola to watch American netflix but it should work for you to browse Canadian netflix. It has X-files... I guess it may change soon though... It has been up there for years at this points.