1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amazon shipping out late. usual??

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bread903, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Hi fellow earth people!

I had a strange experience on Amazon recently,

so I'm writing to see if this kind of occasion happens often.

I ordered a tire inflator and it wasn't shipped out for 8 days from the day I placed the order.

So I wrote to the seller to ask what's going on,

and the response was that the payment is pending, so talk to Amazon.

I talked to Amazon to ask about why the payment was pending.

I used the saved credit card information I always use to order from Amazon,

and the expiration date of the card was in 2019, so there shouldn't have been any problem.

So I had a chat with Amazon, and they said "it's fixed and will be shipped out soon".

I wanted an answer for why it wasn't shipped out for the previous 8 days,

and guess what the answer was?

"international order takes time"

oh.

I have used Amazon since 2005.

This is the first time Amazon dealing with the problem like this.

I was expecting something like,

"the system had a flaw. sorry."

or

"the warehouse crew was slacking" or something like that. reason for why it wasn't processed.

I felt like me saying "who broke this!" and hearing "someone will pay you for it" as an answer.

Is this an usual response of Amazon?????

2. That's the reason I stopped using amazon 3 years ago. Free shipping = we will ship it in 2 weeks, paid shipping = we will ship it in a week. I guess they want everyone to become prime subscribers.

3. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well
    There must be a parallel universe Amazon. I've been buying from them for years (before Prime) and stuff usually arrives on time or even earlier than expected.

Could be different in other parts of the world.

LeftyD, Stewie26 and Jeff K like this.
  4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Yes.
    As Amazon continues to grow, shipping isn't the same as it used to be. Two day shipping is now padded at times by a day or two processing.
    The good news though is they're still customer service centric, so a quick chat session from the website usually ends with a one month extension of our Prime membership, a $5-10 discount on a future order, or even getting a refund on the entire order that was delayed.
    I'm a huge Amazon fan, and probably always will be. However, jet.com is making noise in this space and I've been listening.

-Mike

Stewie26 likes this.
  5. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Not sure about Amazon, but I recently had some weirdness with an ebay purchase paid for through PayPal.

I bought a dozen S hooks for a pot rack and paid with PayPal. Next day I check and the transaction is proceeding as usual. I get the hooks and a few days later I notice paypal took money from my account for no apparent reason and listed it as an adjustment to my account. I called and apparently new banking regs prevent US banks from doing money transfers offshore if the sender does not have a street address listed with their bank. We've had a PO Box for over 20 years and never had a problem and since it was a US seller I was confused so I called paypal and they told me that some overseas sellers are now warehousing in storage units within the US and a relative or associate is shipping for them, but the money is going to overseas banks which is what happened in the case of the S hooks, they were shipped from the west coast but the money went straight to a Chinese bank. When the transaction was processed, the bank put a hold on the transfer because we don't have a street address with the bank, but the package already shipped so PayPal adjusted my account to make the payment. Then, because of a glitch in their programming, the payment didn't have some kind of authorization code so PayPal credited me back the next day. So if you are still keeping up, I've got the S hooks but the seller had the money but it was pulled from their account by PayPal so PayPal again hits my account for it. Apparently that time it stuck because it stayed that way.

I've always kept that PayPal account empty and just pay from my bank account when I do a PayPal transaction, but not any more.

Stumbo likes this.
  6. Goatrope

Goatrope

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    I see the potential for it to happen more than I let it.

It is a bit tricky to really get the benefit of the faster shipping options. I think it depends mostly on whether you’re ordering something that’s sitting at a Amazon warehouse or a 3rd party.

I have no problem canceling an order that sits unshipped, or in some other pending status. Many times you can find the same item with multiple sellers, so you can go elsewhere. I just did this yesterday. Ordered two things that go together, one was going to deliver today, and the other was a bit unclear during the ordering process. Then I saw the expected delivery was going to be a week later for that second item. I canceled and ordered from another Amazon seller. Now both are being delivered today. Same prices, free shipping.

If a specific delivery date is more important than price, you can make that happen.

7. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    There's a difference in dealing with Amazon when they have an item in stock, and when they are acting as a conduit for a retailer that ships the item directly. When shipping halfway around the world, some delays are to be expected at times.

Amazon shipping is lightning fast for me.

Stewie26 and Jeff K like this.
  8. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Georgia
    My experience with Amazon Prime has changed a bit since I first subscribed. A couple years ago, the shipping was extremely fast, and my items arrived exactly when specified. Sometimes they arrived sooner. That doesn't happen anymore, and my orders tend to arrive much later than expected - sometimes several days later. I feel like Amazon can't keep up with all the Prime customers like they used to, but they haven't changed the shipping prediction times. I doubt I'll renew my Prime membership when it expires.

MJ5150 likes this.
  9. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    depends on the seller...

i avoid non-prime amazon stuff a lot of the time.

MJ5150 likes this.
  10. FunkBear

FunkBear

Jan 2, 2009
    I started using Amazon a few years ago and have had many shipping-related problems with them. Talking to others I definitely seem to be an exception of some sort.

When I first started using Amazon I would order something that was expected to be to me in, say, 5 days. 3 days would go by before the item would be shipped, from a facility relatively close to where I am. Then, it would deliver on time. I quickly realized that Amazon seemed to be putting off shipping until the last minute while also trying to ensure my order got there by the estimated time.

In order to get my items quicker I then signed up for a Prime trial, the reasoning being that they wouldnt wait a few days before finally shipping the item if I had Prime. Then what happens? I placed probably 4-5 orders in the next month or two and every one arrived two or more days after the expected date with 2-day shipping. Noticed literally no change as my items took just as long to get to me.

Their customer service really is great though.

MJ5150 likes this.
  11. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I buy a lot of stuff for the university through Amazon, probably up to a half-dozen items a month.

I'm near Denver, and shipping is consistently fast. However, when Amazon is repping a third party, we have seen extended shipping times. We ordered four monitors but knew they were still overseas; that took a month, but we rather expected it.

If the product is (1) in stock and (2) domestically located, then I expect to see it in less than a week. That expectation is fulfilled about 90% of the time.

12. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I laughed. We usually buy that much in a couple weeks.

-Mike

13. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Yeah, we have those days too. But universities try to keep you in their purchasing lines, so Amazon is usually for fast turn items.

14. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    SW VT
    They have lost a lot of my business with the shipping delays (I won't pay for prime, and "free shipping" is always delayed from Amazon, and often sent by bogus shippers that route things inefficiently (or "lose" packages) once they finally stop sitting on it.)

Virtually all my electronics/computer stuff I get from a brick-and-mortar and web store in NYC that will in most cases get it here the next day for no extra charge (it's ~4-5 hours driving time, so normal shipments make it here in one day whether UPS or Mail.) They are often cheaper, sometimes 5 cents more, and I'll happily pay the extra nickel to not have the shipping games. They are also consistently (much) better at packing things. And they don't try to flim-flam me on things that are not in the country, much less the warehouse.

I have even bought things from vendors that sell on both amazon and ebay via the ebay store to get better service (and gotten it) though the one I really don't understand is that a particular (US-Based) vendor also had their own website, (as well as the Amazon vendor thing) but offered a better deal buying the same exact item via eBay, presumably paying eBay fees.

15. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Amazon always ships within hours for me. Been that way for 5 years.

If you are avoiding things that are Prime eligible (you don't need a Prime membership) then you are dealing with a 3rd party and not Amazon. Find your item being sold by Amazon.

16. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I just ordered something on Amazon and it had the option to have it arrive tomorrow. It was listed as sold by whatever company it was and fulfilled by amazon. Do they actually deliver stuff on Sundays? It was $9 instead of $4 to ship so I went for it. I'm curious if it'll actually get here.

17. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well
    I’ve had Amazon stuff arrive on Sundays. This recent Xmas USPS delivered a non-Amazon package on Xmas eve, which was a Sunday.

MJ5150 likes this.
  18. I have always been happy with Amazon Prime and delivery times. In some cases I see things in less than 24 hours. But the day they start delivery stuff with drones is the day I will cancel my Prime membership. The air traffic is already very high here around L.A.

MJ5150 likes this.
  19. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    SW VT
    At least part of your problem would be that you bought "through" amazon and the seller is elsewhere. This has become a major (IMHO) issue with a number of sites (newegg comes to mind) that used to be fairly reliable, and mostly still kinda are IF you sort out all the (not very clearly disclosed) offshore "vendors" selling stuff through them. Other sites have always been useless and polluted with this sort of crud (sears and walmart's websites come to mind.)

On Amazon, you can generally check or see that the item is shipping "from amazon's warehouse" and then your service will be tolerably similar whether it's a vendor that rents space there or amazon themselves. Punitive "free shipping" delays have been standard at Amazon since even before they came up with prime - they'd sit on the package for 8 days before shipping it the worst possible way. I learned to shop elsewhere if I was in a hurry, an to avoid being in a hurry if amazon was the best deal otherwise.

FWIW, I have not infrequently (if non-sensically) gotten better terms and shipping from a vendor with a web presence of their own, via amazon, and vie eBay from the eBay version - not that there are not plenty of times that via ebay is the more expensive option, too.

Had something for work ordered on a prime account associated with work recently (but after the new year, so post-christmas season excuse) and it showed up two or three days late. So I'd also say that they are slipping in general.

20. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Yes. I have had many Amazon packages arrive on a Sunday. In those cases, it has always been USPS.

-Mike