1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

ambidextrousness (if thats a word)

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by a00nick, May 5, 2006.

1. a00nick

a00nick

Dec 28, 2005
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Hey everyone. Ive been playing bass for about 6 months, and had played guitar for a little over a year before that (bass is my main instrument now.) I don't concider myself to have excelent left hand techniqe (i'm right handed) and it could be improved. One thing I concidered was that when it comes to writing, my left hand is about as uncoordinated as it gets. I could barely write legiably at all and for that to happen I had to write painfully slow. I was wondering though, for the past few weeks I have been teaching myself to write with my left hand, and I've gotten a whole lot better. I can write completly with my left hand, mind you a little slower than I normaly would. Im wondering if this will help my left hand while playing bass. My bridge got messed up and havent been able to play for a few days and before that I didn't really notice a difference, but I'm hoping that will change. Any thoughts on this?

~Nick

2. I imagine any additional exercise of the less-used left hand(assuming you're right-handed)would increase strength & stamina; adding skill through difficult exercise(to a point)couldn't hurt.

3. a00nick

a00nick

Dec 28, 2005
    Chapel Hill, NC
    well I figurer I don't normaly pay attention in that calss anywaty so anything I can do to help me get better at bass AND maybe learn somthing can't be all that bad