Ambience/pretty sounds?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Hugh Jazz, Dec 18, 2003.

1. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    I'm looking for a pedal (or a couple) that will allow me to get pretty and ambient sounds. Basically I want some delay, chorus/flange, and phaser-like tones. Something to help fill out the sound on slower passages (I play a 6 string in a trio and like to experiment with chords and playing high up) and to help with soloing (especially clean solos).

As of now, I have a Line 6 DL-4. I thought I would use the looper in our playing, which was a huge reason I got it, but we (the band) aren't really going in that kind of a direction. At the moment I'm only using setting, and that's a tape delay (with the drive set pretty high) for pretty sounding lead lines as well as for creating a trippy sound, especially when playing with open strings as drone tones.

Now, while this sound is great and all, I think I'm almost wasting the potential of this pedal. I would very much like a chorus and a phaser, but unfortunately the pedal can't emulate those, even with the weirdest of settings; however, to be honest, I haven't messed around with it enough to see its potential for creating other ambient sounds.

That being said, I might be looking to sell it or trade it in hopes of getting something else (the line 6 modulation modeler maybe?). So...I would like your opinions as to what would help me meet my needs. To sum up my needs, I'm going for a sound that can sound like a second guitar at times and can get pretty trippy and pretty. And, for what it's worth, I like high quality pedals and don't mind spending some money, though it has to be reasonable. ;)

Thanks in advance.
  2. JES

JES Supporting Member

no idea how much these run now, but if you don't mind a rack interface, I cannot recommend the Rocktron Replifex highly enough as a live unit. Yes, it's digital but you won't care.

The phasers, flangers, and leslie emulations sound astounding. The delay can do the tape echo thing, though it won't loop except in that infinite feedback sort of way. The tremolo is usable on bass with a bit of fiddling. In general, the unit is lush and beautiful.

I routinely get praise from other bassists when I use this thing at shows.

I picked up a Tech21 MIDI Mouse to switch presents while playing live.

That said, I havent used the Line6 MM4, and would be curious if that were a cheaper solution.

3. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    I recommend the Line 6 MM4 *if* you're not opposed to sitting there agonizing over it for awhile. I say this because it's tough to find just the right settings since it has so many controls for each model.

Phasers don't get down to slow enough IMHO, but the BiPhase model has this randomness to it that I love.

Choruses can easily become too-thick-to-be-useful-in-a-band-context but when playing alone or with a more acoustic-geared tune (think Rotten Apple, IIRC, from AIC's Jar of Flies) can be phe-nom.

can't hurt to give it a try. I keep wrestling myself over whether I need delay, definitely not in the "band" but I'm looking forward to jamming alone with a Conklin 7...
  4. I use a Digitech BP-8 for the kinds of sounds you describe. The chorus, flanger, phaser, tremolo, delays and reverbs are quite nice and it also has a lot of other useful efx. They are ez to find & cheap.