1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ambient Music

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by markjazzbassist, Oct 5, 2006.

1. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    Anyone ever listen to this stuff? i've been getting into it lately. real beautiful and pretty sounding stuff. like aphex twin's ambient stuff and some brian eno. Anyone like ambient?

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I think Brian Eno's Music for Films is my favorite. If you like pretty/ambient... though it's not Ambient, I'd recommend listening to Enya. :eek:

Seriously though, Enya isn't really ambient, but she does incredibly floaty/gorgeous music. A Day without Rain is amazing.

3. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    thanks ill check it out. ive heard some of enya's stuff and it was pretty cool.

non-ambient stuff that ive been into to is Sigur Ros. Real Chill.

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yep, I love Sigur Ros... I was going to recommend them along with Enya for the not really ambient ambient music. I'm not normally into pure ambience. I often like dark/brooding ambient music, but that doesn't seem to be what you are looking for.

5. bassjamn

bassjamn Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    Tangerine Dream- Rubicon (haha that's my bands name)
    Patrick Ohearn - Indigo(great album!)
    Jeff Greinke
    Godspeed you black emporer - Some scary ambient stuff.

6. If you want ambient check out these (I love ambient music BTW :)

- Tetsu Inoue - Ambient Otaku
    - Rihmasto (they have hour long sets to download, website not too good though)
    - Brain Eno of course - his best ambient stuff is his gallery music stuff, such as Music for White Cube and Januray 02003 etc.
    - Jem Finer has a complete album for download which involves excerpts from a 10,000 year long composition called Longplayer (look at the bottom of the page)
    - Future Sound Of London's 'Lifeforms' is a must have album of this genre.
    - The Orb's - U.F.Orb is also essential listening.

7. Also, you could try out a 2 field recording artists called Jarra Schirris and Quiet American. Jarra has several hour long recordings of rain forests and stuff for download on his website. QA has hours and hours of location recordings from all over the world. Now that is ambient.......

8. bassjamn

bassjamn Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    Any recommendations on good sigur ros to hear?

9. jazzbasser535

jazzbasser535

Feb 25, 2006
    Get Sigur Ros's album (). All of the songs are untitled.

10. i am a big fan of the atmospheric ambient music--i have a few eno cds and even a cool eno/fripp cd as well. I am working on releasing an atmospheric ambient cd soon too :)

If thousands is a favorite local ambient duo of mine :)
    its just too bad they went on hiatus for a while :(
    www.ifthousands.com

11. SurrenderMonkey

SurrenderMonkey

Aug 18, 2006
    Liverpool
    That's what I listen at work, or in the car on the way to work. Relax! That or In Flames, depending on the mood and how late I am :)

Orbital, Aphex Twin (my fave, ambient with a twist), Biosphere, Tetsu Inoue, Orb (all mentioned), eno, boards of canada, ... Plus a few OSTs like Blade Runner, Solaris...

12. "stone in focus"

by aphex twins.

AMAZING.

13. YUP!

I have Aphex Twins ambient works albums, and I love the 2nd one from the 90's

..oh yeah, if you like Brian Eno, I highly recommend these two albums by Stars of the Lid:

"The Tired Sounds of the Stars of the Lid"

"Avec Laudenum"

both are great albums, and there is over three hours of enjoyment to be found there....

Another ambient group I also have been getting into is called Boards of Canada(their last album)

Both of these groups(2 people in each) use actual musical instruments in a lot of the music, and depending on how heavily effected they are, you either may or may not be able to tell what they are....but I love this music now..:)

..it actually inspires me on bass guitar even moreso than regular "rock" music many times.

A forum, and a great radio station that can be found on either WMP or ITunes:

http://forums.di.fm/forumdisplay.php?f=39

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 15, 2021