1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ambient/Noise Rock Options?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mynameisjack2, Oct 20, 2010.

1. mynameisjack2

mynameisjack2

Jun 22, 2009
    Dallas, TX
    My buddy and I want to start a band with some ambient noises and stuff added into the mix. Unfortunately, it's just me and the drummer, so no guitar. So I'm wondering, what are the best options for bassists in this setting?

Originally I was thinking the Line 6 M models, but I'm not really familiar with them or how they layer. I prefer the idea of individual pedals, but that's not super important to me, cost is obviously more important, but mostly sound. I currently have a RAT, Comp, Octaver, and Echo Park, if that helps.

2. I would get more dirt and delay. Probably a second amp too.

My band is kinda noisy and spacey. Lately I have been digging layered distortions and delays that trail. Mixed with some strange sounds from a Boss PS3 and its fun. I use two different basses. An Ibanez ATK 300, and a Fender Jazz with some mods (Master volume added, blend for pick ups, and DiMarzio J Plus pickups).

So I would say, lots of delay and distortions. Maybe something wacky too for good measure.

3. pedalguy1

pedalguy1

Jun 3, 2008
    Riverton Utah
    If its just you and a drummer, I would recommend a looper pedal of some kind to layer riffs and such to help build songs. Although I dont have one or havent tried one, a line 6 M9/13 would probably help in your case. It has a built in looper, and more effects you can shake a stick at. They seem to get a lot of love here. I like making spacey and solo music, and i'm intrested in picking one up.

4. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Inactive

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Reverb, a looper, and some serious chemicals.

5. SnakeKappele

SnakeKappele

Sep 20, 2010
    A loop pedal and a phaser through two amps in stereo. :bag:

6. dokazaado

dokazaado

Mar 25, 2009
    Empty Hills
    just sample weird sounds you like, or check out stuff from analogue haven.

then get a powerful valve amplifier and turn it up to 11, you'll be sorted.

7. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Whatever you need, you need A LOT of it.

:bassist:

oh and a tube amp. trust me on this one.

8. ItsMichaelYeah

ItsMichaelYeah

Jun 4, 2008
    Miami,FL
    Distortion/fuzz, Delay, Looper, octave pedal Like a Pog 2 or Eventide Pitch factor, and some modulation.

9. delay... ay.... ay... ay.... ay... ay... ays for days.

Fuzz, OD, Phaser, Flanger, Looper, Chorus

That's what i run with.

-1 on the tube amp. My tube amp is great and all... and wonderful for most of the stuff i do (which requires a clean sound)... but for my effect heavy stuff, i like my Peavey Mark VI the most.

10. Basehead

Basehead Now with even more synthy goodness... Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    New York NY
    Definitely delay, reverb, some fuzz, and a looper.

You can throw in some flanger, phaser, heavy chorus, tremolo for depth.

I like to add an Ebow and a brass slide for the "How did he just do that?". Also, the Ebow looks cool reflecting off you bass when you fire it up on a dark stage. ;)

11. Blah114

Blah114

Feb 7, 2008
    eventide pitch factor, done.

12. I highly endorse the M13 or M9 for all your noise / ambient needs. If you are experimenting and searching for sounds, there is no better all in one solution IMO. A specific need would be the only reason to go elsewhere with your purchase.

IMO YMMV and all that jazz (or ambient noise).

13. mynameisjack2

mynameisjack2

Jun 22, 2009
    Dallas, TX
    Thanks everyone!

I made a trip to a music store and they let me try just about every effect in the store. I decided a flanger, chorus, an OD, and a looper would sound the best.

So question two: What pedals of those type would be good for this? I just tried boss at the store (they lacked any other) I'm not looking for boutique quality, but I'd like to see some recommendations other than boss just so I can compare.

If possible I'd like to not spend more than 250.00 on the whole package, but I realize that's probably not going to happen. So I think flanger chorus looper OD in that order would be best.
    So suggestions for this application?

14. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    Shop used.... the classifieds on TB are a good place to start.

15. For Flanger I always recommend the DOD FX72 Bass Flanger. Very thick and cheap. They don't make them anymore, but you can find them used.

16. NateS

NateS

Sep 22, 2009
    Richmond, VA, USA
    if it's just you and a drummer, and you want ambient/noise, the more pedals the better. Load up on a little of everything. phasers, dirt, fuzz, synth, delays, reverb, samples, reverb, ring mods, delays, and reverb.

EVERYTHING.

17. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Inactive

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    +1.

The bypass is pretty awful, though.

18. I agree. Also the switch is a real jerk.

19. wetzelman1

wetzelman1

Feb 12, 2009
    you basically just asked what everyone favorite pedals are in forum dedicated to effects. I think you'll have better luck searching the forums/internet.

there are a few threads about post-rock/doom pedal-boards where you can see what other people like to use.

basically, delays are where it's at. I'd actually suggest you look into more than 1 delay. you can make a lot of crazy sounds/ambiance with delays, but your going to need them all separate on stage.

20. moggieman

moggieman

Jan 25, 2009
    +1 multiple delays work great. analog especially. digital for cold harsh repeats.