1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ambient/Post-Rock/Textural bass playing thread

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ttasselm, Sep 4, 2013.

1. ttasselm

ttasselm Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Philadelphia, PA
    Every now and then, a "bass reverb" thread pops up and dies fairly quickly, but I wanted to create a slightly more permanent area for those of us who play bass in ambient, post-rock, or similar bands so that we can discuss technique, gear, pedals...all that fun stuff.

I personally love bands like Hammock, This Will Destroy You, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Kyle Bobby Dunn, Stars of the Lid, etc. and have always taken a great deal of influence from their ambient stylings. I treat the bass less like a "bass guitar" and more like a "low frequency audio source." I would love to see what you guys are creating and how you're going about doing it. My board is always in flux so I'll hold off from posting a picture now, but feel free to post yours here. It would be nice if there was a little bit of explanation or insight provided to go along with it, though.

Here is a recent video I put together featuring ambient bass chords; I also have some other demo videos up showing delay and reverb usage:

Here is a track with a good bit of reverb, delay, and high-passed bass guitar:

And the other music I make can be found in the links in my signature if you ever feel like listening.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
    Jazz Ad, MojoPenguin, chaak and 17 others like this.
  2. zwkoch

zwkoch You can't do that on bass enthusiast Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2012
    Twin Cities, MN
    This isn't quite up to your level, but here is a small sample of me using SA Dimension Reverb, SA MWBD, TC Flashback, POG2, and the HH3 sensor for some textures. I use this sound a great deal in church. I can't wait to see the ideas other people post.

chaosMK, Flooflox, HolmeBass and 11 others like this.
  3. I didn't realize this was you! I watched that on YouTube and its what helped sell me on buying that dimension from you

dukeorock likes this.
  4. ttasselm

Nov 4, 2009
    Philadelphia, PA
    Ha, you're right - I think it exceeds my level. Well done! I have always been interested in the HH3.

dukeorock likes this.
  5. I hope this thread catches on. I'm gonna sub it now, and post up my dealings soon. I think bass guitar definitely has a different role in post-genre music and I look forward to the avant-garde approaches to FX discussed here.

Cheers.:cool:

Deak and dukeorock like this.
  6. necropain

necropain

Aug 21, 2012
    hey whats up. i've been waiting for thread like this to come along. ill probably become a regular here. i don't have much to post at the moment due to the fact that i only have a minute right now. but anywho i play Post-rock, Shoegaze, Noise, Blackgaze, Atmospheric Black metal, and DSBM. i just wanted to drop in and say hi to everyone here.

and i agree with the post above in these types of music bass has a different usual roll sometimes many different roles. and I too look forward to the approaches to effect discussed here

-Necros

Aladinsane1969 and dukeorock like this.
  7. I have a couple of synth pedals, a delay, a chorus, and a modulation pedal that does a number of things. I use these for spacey effects in certain parts of my band's originals, but I don't usually get to do this sort of long ambient stuff because we are still a rock band and someone needs to play bass.

I grew up listening to The Fish by Yes, which is all bass riffs and melodies played over a drum beat, with lots of effects. But that hard to replicate live; when Chris Squire plays it live he does it differently. That sort of delay and echo stuff is very interesting to me, and that's more along the lines of what I want to get to in my band.

You mentioned Hammock; I saw them in Philly a couple of years ago on the Penn campus. Neat stuff.

dukeorock likes this.
  8. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

Jan 21, 2005
    Hey!

This is what I do: http://mechanik.bandcamp.com/

Check out "Radian" for ambient... bass harmonics with deep reverb...

And this is my pedalboard:
    8967803998_400e55decf_o.

Home made double fuzz, ibanez phat ditortion (now using a BBM), Vt bass deluxe get my dirt tone. Then aLine 6 M9 for delays, echo, looper, modulation and whatnot, into a compressor with crazy settings, a limiter, the ehx freeze on hold and a EQ. Last in chain is a home made bypass/feedback loop

To the OP: what effects are you using on the youtube video?

dukeorock likes this.
  9. necropain

necropain

Aug 21, 2012
    hello friend ^ i notice you use an Ibanez PD7 i have heard that the phat hed is an excellent drive and right now i am torn between getting either a PD7 or a Boss Blues Driver. so question is would you recommend the phat hed?

dukeorock likes this.
  10. Subscribed ...

Hi, I play in an ambient / post-rock band called Marche La Void. If you want, you can check out our music at marchelavoid.bandcamp.com
    I use some pedals but nothing compare to the boards I've seen on PYPB thread. Here is the latest incarnation of my board

Pedalboard04.

A bit different setup than what I used to record our songs with, but mostly the same.

I have a Fender MIA J-Bass V (I recorded with this) but lately have been favoring my Squier Matt Freeman P-Bass

Looking forward to the discussions we're going to have in this thread. Thanks OP :hyper:

dukeorock likes this.
  11. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I agree with treating the bass as more of a sound element in ambient music.
    Sometimes I lay on the effects. A Digitech Bass SynthWah, Boss Flanger, and SansAmp ParaDriver are my core FX, sometimes I add analog modulation and filter pedals. I regret selling a Boss Analog Delay pedal years ago, that was awesome on bass.

Here's an ambient piece I played on a Fender Jaguar Baritone Custom through a Boss GT-3 multi-FX.
    It's one of the first things I ever wrote (in 2006), a little rough in places.
    I worked it into a two-handed tapping piece with whistling for a Steve Lawson seminar, but never recorded it that way.

Using silence structurally - making ambient music, I don't feel the need to have the bass present at all times.
    When mixing and recording, gates and "mute" automation create space.
    This is my Pedulla Rapture RB4 with TI Jazz Flats.

I'm not attached to using bass guitar if I find a keyboard sound that works.
    Here's an ambient dub tune I played in Reason, I approached it just like I was palm-muting on bass.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
    HolmeBass likes this.
  12. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

Jan 21, 2005
    Never tried the Boss Blues Driver... I do like the Ibanez tough... cheap, simple, EQ... Right now is out of my board, but I'll keep it. It's a nice distortion!

dukeorock likes this.
  13. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    Singapore
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aAsp9pJ-NAQ

My attempt on ambient playing, anyway I am changing my previous set up above as I realize it is much simpler to use hd pod500x to achieve the same result.

Dean N and dukeorock like this.
  14. ttasselm

Nov 4, 2009
    Philadelphia, PA
    Great stuff so far! Looking forward to the discussions, as well as checking out all the sounds posted already.

Cheers, guys.

dukeorock likes this.
  15. necropain

necropain

Aug 21, 2012
    here is the current pedalboard im using. my pedalboard is always changing this is just the current design its last incarnation was much much larger this is just a temporary downsize. though it is temporary it may stay this size for awhile. i don't expect those exact pedals to stay the same though.

100_1436_by_necros900-d6l75mj.

dukeorock likes this.
  16. necropain

necropain

Aug 21, 2012
    i will post some clips of my playing soon

dukeorock likes this.
  17. I just bought a Boss RV3 today. Its really good for a real washy reverb and delay sound. I like using it with my Echo Park. Boss really needs to make the RV3 again.

dukeorock likes this.
  18. necropain

necropain

Aug 21, 2012
    + over 9000. the RV-3 and Space Echo are currently my two favorite pedals

dukeorock likes this.
  19. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    Singapore
    Anyone has a b3k? Just found a setting that works awesome with chords

20. zwkoch