1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ambient/Post-Rock/Textural bass playing thread

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ttasselm, Sep 4, 2013.

1. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    Did some more sampling/looping with the Qu-Bit Nebulae. Pretty great! Will post a clip later

2. dukeorock

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Ok, one short bass riff samples into Qu-Bit Nebulae v2 and Michigan Synths Monsoon. Clocked by Pam’s New Workout. Nothing else. First try. I really like this thing

3. cosmicevan

cosmicevan bleep bloop Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    I definitely didn't need to know that playing live bass through that thing was not only possible but cool sounding. I may need to unsub from this thread - I will NOT go modular (famous last words).

4. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Way back when I worked at ARP we had a pretty killer employee studio and I used to run my Travis Bean fretless through the 2600's filters and VCAs. The monitor system was just a pair of Bose 800s, which was rather limiting though.

A month or two ago I went to a Tech Geek lunch at the invitation of a member. It's a monthly thing and mostly it's related to the drone businesses out here, but there are a couple of hi-fi and MI engineers. The monthly presenter was a guy doing Arduino development boards for synth applications, and also a simple light sensing Theremin-ish board. He comped me one of the Arduino ones, but then got back to me telling me to wait on v2 before ordering up the parts. So I guess I'll be diving back into this pool sooner than later.

In other news, my new slide bass build came off much better than I really expected. My luthier friend clearly thought I was nuts, but somehow he just nailed the custom sidewinder pickups after messing with my Q-Tuner loaded fretless for a bit one afternoon. I went with an external power supply and a 4 pin XLR output, so stereo output and a new tube amp build for the dirty side are in the cards. The bass is weird and kind of pimp in its own way too...LOL.

5. dukeorock

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Man, that’s all great stuff!

Passinwind likes this.
  6. dukeorock

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Depending on the time of day, I hate the modular thing and want to sell it all off...couple hours later and I’m making music I just don’t know how to do any other way

7. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Yeah, it's exciting to get back on a bit more of a creative track Mark. And people have noticed that, last week I got the money lead slot with the house band at an open mic in lieu of a number of danged good pro guitar players. Really looking forward to using effects again for the first time in several years, and writing some new tunes, and...[​IMG]

8. steubig

steubig

Jul 17, 2001
    locustland, ca
    hell i feel that about bass.

9. steubig

steubig

Jul 17, 2001
    locustland, ca
    god help me, i’m planning in a field trip to perfect circuit tomorrow.

10. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Gainesville,FL
    I have been all over the place with modular over the years. The first revelation was that I don't have to use every module in every patch. I felt like I was wasting some sort of possibility but found myself overdoing things when patching just because I could. I do like to make multi layer, multi voice patches that are potentially complete compositions but I don't have to do that every time. Now, modular is a tool in my toolbox albeit a favorite.

For the first time in years, I have been picking up the bass more and more which is refreshing. So, my pendulum must be swinging back towards the middle or something like that.

But yes, I can relate 100% to your post.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019 at 12:41 PM
    steubig and dukeorock like this.
  11. cosmicevan

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    I usually feel that way about complex pedals. When I first plug them in I am frustrated and immediately want to sell them...but like any great relationship, the more I invest with the pedal the better the results...even just blind experimentation. This was my story with the Tensor, Count to 5, Particle, and Hedra. Some I'm still getting closer to, but others are staples on my board.

dukeorock likes this.
  12. dukeorock

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Oh man, that is a seriously dangerous place. Went in there last year while on tour intending to buy a $500 Bastl Thyme delay and walked out with a $1,350 Octatrack. Now, I’m thrilled I got the Octatrack because it’s the hub of all my electronic stuff. I wasn’t ready at the time to even entertain the notion of modular, thank goodness :)
    You’re so good at improv stuff, it does kinda seem like a no brainer to me. I will also say I’ll take my small eurorack setup over any pedalboard setup I’ve ever owned. Sorry about the enabling :)

Particle gave me fits the first time I tried it! Ct5 was much easier because I kinda knew going in what I was in for. As much as I love my Enzo, it’s still a bit of a crap shoot what’s gonna happen. I’m not a huge fan of hidden menu button combos. Modular patching is nice because I can kind of direct in a way that works better with my tiny little brain :)

cosmicevan likes this.
  13. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Gainesville,FL
    So, I am not sure many folks care but I did promise to do a more formal (re)introduction of myself :)

I have been playing for quite a bit was in Death Metal, Funk, Jazz and other bands over the years. Never really too over the top about pedals - I had a Rat and a Bass Crybaby wah plus a cheap multi FX pedal and I might have really used them in one band.

As you can see, I have been on TB almost 8.5 years. The first couple of years I was pretty active, especially in this sub-forum. I had quite drinking/drugs in 2009 and found fx to be so much fun and new sonic doors were unlocked through them. It was pretty fun times and there was a core of people here that were also on ILF (especially the TB thread on ILF). Over time, I was more drawn to ILF - it is like the Effects forum here as the main focus with less moderation - which I liked. At this time I was playing in a band where I was the only male and I had a lot of freedom when it came to bringing in fx and trying out new combos of fx in songs.

The further I went down the make my bass sound like a synth rabbit hole, the more I explored synths/drum machines/samplers and was learning about modulars. I initially was using NI Maschine for these explorations but for whatever reason, gravitated towards hardware. After one failed attempt at Eurorack - trying to use it as a pedalboard substitute or component, I got the nerve back up to buy a Panel of Serge Modular. The sound was just so out of this world. It could be utterly alien but in such a cool way - I could conduct it into having musical conversations with itself. The band broke up (after recording a nice EP), my life and availability was shifting so I thought, WTH, I am going to sell of some of the bass gear and just give modular a real chance.

So, I stopped coming to TB pretty much, slowly started to fade away from ILF and hung out on Muff Wigglers. I spent so much time reading/learning/experimenting, etc. This was a fun couple of years. I started to play out a bit with modulars. At one point I had 3 different modular systems (Buchla, Eurorack and a Fenix 2), several drum machines, several other synths and FX. I did end up buying a nice bass (6 string Dingwall) and nice tube amp + cab in hopes that I would maybe be inspired to connect with bass a bit more. I would pick up my bass once a month, run it through some fuzz and play some cool riffs. That was it.

Several things happened in my personal life (2nd kid, wife stopped working, etc) and I just decided that I don't have time for such a ridiculous amount of gear nor should I have so much money wrapped up in this. So, I have purged quite a bit: 1 modular system (although I do have something being built), 2 poly synths, 1 drum machine, midi bass (Peavey Cyber Bass), Alembic Series 1 and FX. Plus an iPad and a Computer. Not much that I can't do that I want to do, one way or another.

I will own that I fight GAS: I want a nice fretless even though I am not too experienced (Marleaux Diva :drool:) and there are plenty of synths/synth devices that call to me. I am okay with flirting around with trying pedals and making a few line-up changes in the studio but ultimately, I want to keep my main tools the same in order to drive deeper exploration. My current road bump is that we are trying to simplify our lives so we chose to down size our home and now I need to do something like get a prefab building and soundproof it for a music room.

Anyways, I am glad this thread is here as I have been more called back towards playing bass and I enjoy what everyone is doing/exploring here.

14. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    What time should I meet you there to encourage fun decisions ;)

dukeorock and cosmicevan like this.
  15. cosmicevan

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    Finally got my bluetooth MIDI and touchOSC working. Feels like HUGE doors just swung open for my Meris and Red Panda pedals...and hopefully I can build some templates so I can explore the Future Impact and 856 for Zellersasn

16. monsterthompson

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Next big event booked for 9/14 in LA. I just got the script outline today, and now I’ve got 20 minutes of time to fill, across 3 scenes. Some drone, some melodic mass/ritual vibe, and then the opportunity for some industrial strength stomping.

It’s gonna be a big show with multiple acts so I’ll sample and bounce everything ahead of time and trigger loops from the laptop on game day. I don’t wanna be plugging in and sound checking hardware.

Hoping this will kick up the inspiration I’ve been lacking lately.

17. cosmicevan

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    Awesome!

dukeorock and monsterthompson like this.
  18. dukeorock

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Still awaiting the outcome of the Perfect Circuit trip:)
    I’m sure I could learn more about live bass into modular if some of you smarter guys gets into it too!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019 at 6:23 PM
    cosmicevan and monsterthompson like this.
  19. monsterthompson

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Who are the “smarter guys” in this thread?

dukeorock likes this.
  20. Nefarius696

Nefarius696

Apr 9, 2015
    Germany
    It's definitely not me.

dukeorock likes this.