ambient sounds made by justin in Tool..

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MadPink, Jan 16, 2002.

1. Im just wondering what sort of effects he's using to do those strange sounds whenever Tool goes into those break downs. I know he's using a delay and flanger, but what im wondering about is does his SansAmp Bass Driver playing a part in helping out? Is he using anything else? like would he be using his whammy too? any information would be great. thanks.
  2. According to my memory of the recent article about Justin in Bassplayer he also has a Digitech Bass Whammy and a Pro-co Rat distortion in his signal chain. It also mentions how he uses the controls on his Wal to get some different effect-like tones while he's playing. You can get some weird modulation effects by turning the tone knobs while playing due to the type of active electronics in Wal basses.
  3. could you get the same modulation effect with other active electronics?
  4. If you own an Alembic then yes otherwise probably not. The tone controls are really low-pass filters which are different from a traditional tone control. More info about the controls on a Wal can be found here:
  5. king22

Jul 14, 2000
    middletown nj
    which issue of bass player magwas justin in?
  6. Sometime during this past summer. He was on the cover.
  7. it was the may 2001 issue
  8. do you know if you can buy the tone controls anywhere and then just install them on your bass?
  9. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    may 2001 i think. he was on the cover
  10. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    I haven't read that particular issue of Bass Player (or any for that matter), but as far as I recall, he uses the Sansamp GT2 and not the SABDDI. I haven't used either of these pedals, but I believe they can give you a thicker sound and some distortion (probably more so from the GT2, since it has more distortion settings available).

But as for the other effects he uses, delay and chorus are the most frequently used ones. The flanger and Whammy will help make spacy sounds as well.

Hope that helps.
  11. king22

Jul 14, 2000
    middletown nj
    i found the issue and i ordered it from b.p. mag
  12. Only if you buy a Wal! The pickups and electronics are not available as an aftermarket item.
  13. turns on all his effects at once and plays with the volume and tone controls... whammy plays a large part in it as well.
  14. I e-mailed the Wal Company and they sent back a price list. They want 1674$ for a Standard satin finish w/chrome hardware. What would a standard satin finish look like?
  15. He Madpink...didn't I send you a copy already?

Oh yeah....

Electric Wood, the company that makes Wal basses, doesn't have an E-mail address, they do all there business over the phone. You more than likely were in contact with Steve Chesney who maintains their website and has a collection of no less than 11 Wal basses!

And by the way...that price on the price sheet is in British pounds not US dollars which at today's exchange rate would be $2408 USD for them to build you a bass like you mentioned. On top of that the import duty would add a few hundred dollars to the price.

If I were to order my Wal at today's prices it would cost me in the $3500 USD range including import duty charges.