Here's a couple of SX basses I tweaked up to my liking. This is a SX SJB75 that I bought last year. I loved the way it looked, but there were other things left to be desired. I thought about selling it, or getting some Warmoth stuff, or whatever. In the end I figured, I'd never get a neck with block inlays and binding for the price of the SX. So I got to thinking and here's what I came up with. I like the grain on the ash body, even though it's a little heavy. And cosmetically the neck and body looked fine. The three bolt neck was indeed a cool thing. I added a BadAss II bridge to give it a little more sustain, and a tortoise shell PG to give it a look I liked. Added some straplocks for improved functionality. The goal was to make a Sadowkyish sounding bass, so I threw in an Aguilar OBP-3 and some DiMarzio Ultra Jazz pickups. Before I get flamed, it's not a Sadowsky by any stretch of the imagination. I wanted a bass with nice lows and sparkling highs. Also, since I'm a tone tweaker, I added a 4th knob to the control plate and gave her a side mounted jack. The controls are vol/vol on a stacked pot, bass/treb on a stacked pot, mid boost, and mid sweep. The sweep varies between 250hz-800Hz. The OBP comes with a switch that lets you choose between 400Hz and 800Hz. I replaced the switch with a 500K blend pot, and wired some capacitors to give it a lower range. I love the sound of boosting 250K, and I wanted it on this bass. There's also a bypass switch, and I have holes for two other switches if I want to put them in there. I'm still deciding to whether to put switches in for series/parallel or phase reversal. In my previous OBP-3 installation, I routed a battery cavity under the pickguard. This time I wanted easier access, so I routed out a battery cavity in the back. I liked the way the bass looked, but didn't care for the way it played. The neck felt a little chunky to me. With a lot of sweat and mucho helpful knowledge from Hambone, I shaved down the neck and threw on a tung oil finish. I took off the finish using 000 steel wool, and then sanded it down using 220 grit and then finished it up with 400 grit. During that time I used straight edges to find any bumps. In the end I took it down from .87" to .77" at the 1st fret. Now I love the profile, and the smooth tung oil finish gives it a nice fast feel. As far as the fingerboard, I used 0000 steel wool to give it more of a satiny feel. I also went over the entire fretboard with a smaller straight edge to find any uneven frets. When they were found, I tapped them in lightly with a 7 oz hammer and/or filed them down using a fret dressing file. Pretty much eliminated dead spots. I replaced the stock tuners with Hipshot HB-2s. They have to be the smoothest tuners I've run across. The SXs have notoriously crappy nuts, so I replaced it with a TUSQ nut. I could have carved my own, but considering the time it takes to cut one and the cost of a pre-cut one, I went with the TUSQ. I drew on a cheesy logo. One day I'll sand it down and have someone who can actually draw throw one on there. After I got everything put back together, I gave her a proper setup. There's a small amount of relief, but the neck is relatively straight (.02"). The action is right where at I like it at around .07" at the 12th, .03" at the 1st. Neck pup is 3/16" from the strings, and the bridge is 5/32". In the end, I have a bass that I'm quite pleased with. Mad props to Hambone for his great advice.