Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amboyna Burl?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by jacochops, Dec 12, 2003.

1. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Does anyone here have a source for some nice amboyna burl? I only need enough for a top, and Gallery Hardwoods doesn't have what I'm looking for (at least from looking at the site). Maybe a luthier out there has a nice top they'd part with?

Also, this one's for Ken Smith specifically....I just bought a used BSR 4P...for anyone out there who's not played one, it truly is a superior instrument on many levels. Man, that preamp is hot!! Big output. Playing it in a jazz setting yesterday was a real hoot!
    Ken, I know this isn't on your pricelist, but would you make a BSR 4P with a tiger maple core, and an amboyna burl top? I have a feeling that would look "over the top"!

2. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Larry has killer amboyna burl Man!!

pictures on the site gallery are pretty old and this will be taken care off early next year probably. Just send larry an email or give him a call and he'll get you your dream wood.

Look on my site I have one amboyna topped bass in progress.

Peace, JP

3. jbay

jbay

May 23, 2002
    Singapore
    Heh heh, come here and cut some for urself. The amboyna trees line the streets... :)

4. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Don't we have enough pretty wood for you to choose from? I don't like having to fill any of the voids or knots usually found in burls. Good tone woods is our main goal. Pretty is second but also important. Goal #1 must be fulfilled first in my book !!

http://www.kensmithbasses.com/woodpages/woodpagecontents.html

5. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Hey Ken,
    I can definitely understand the hassles involved in manufacturing instruments that would need yet another step in the process! Nothing sounds quite as good tonally as wood filler......(kidding..)
    My Smith has the ebony top/walnut back. Tone out the kazoo! However, I've had good luck with instruments in the past with amboyna (tonally). Usually a top that's thin enough that it has minimal effect on tone. However, ya gotta admit; it's sexy stuff!

6. Although you can get lotsa wonderful wood combination with severla different sandwitched layers.. for me there is nothing better IMHO than

A high Quality piece of Swamp Ash with a 1/4" top of Flamed Mapel or Buckeye, A Rock Mapel Neck witha Ebony or Mapel fingerboard...

Some would say not very adventrous.. but why is it used... because it works and works very well....my Neck GB will be...

Swamp Ash Body
    Buckeye Top
    Rock Mapel Neck
    Flamed Mapel Fingerboard

I believe its the best combination for a great highs and lows with strong mids.. defined and if handeled properly looks every bit as good as anything else

opinions ??... :)