Amboyna Nordstrand

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by gruuv, Sep 14, 2005.

1. gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    I will paraphrase deichman from when he was selling this a while back. All of you should be familiar with this bass, it is a monster. This is the one Carey built for Adrian Garcia and this past NAMM show. . .

It has the most insane amboyna burl top with matching pickup covers over an ash body, maple 34.5 in scale (a la F Bass) neck with a crazy birdseye maple board. I had it sent back to Carey to swap the F Bass pre out for an Aguilar OBP-3 and he also added series/parallel push/pull knobs. It has Carey's dual coils (fabulous pickups), amber LED side dots and chrome hardware. I'm going to ask $3600 shipped to the lower 48; for Paypal the fees are buyer's responsibility. NO TRADES. . . Given the options on this bass, Carey's wait time, and the superb level of his work I think it's a fair price.

Cliche as it may sound, I have never owned a bass that was so easy to play, has such a great variety of tones available, and has literally PERFECTattention to detail and craftsmanship. The first time I played this bass at church a bassist/friend of mine came up afterwards and kept commenting about how huge and deep it sounded. He plays a Sadowsky which I've used at church as well, so I asked him, "more huge and deep than the Sadowsky?" Without a second thought he said, "Yep... what kind of bass is that?" I simply can't afford to keep this bass, but I wanted to try out one of Carey's basses for myself to see if I want to have him build me one someday, funds allowing. . . it did not disappoint!

Here are some of the links from Dave's ad before:

TB thread

Carey's NAMM photos -- scroll down

Adrian's F and Nordstrand

Thanks for looking, I wanted to give the TB crowd first shot before I go to
  2. dooft11

dooft11 Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2003
    Oh how can you do that to me Gruuv, that make my GAS come once again!!

Gruuv, you are selling alot of jaw dropping gear, just hope everything is fine on you.Bro-God will make a way, when his people started to pray
  3. Alla

Sep 25, 2000
    You know Gruuv ....
    You are killing me!!!
  4. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Wow. Wow. um... Wow.

That bass is for sale? The way Adrian was loving it, I figured this was a "cold dead hands" bass for him. I never expected to see it in the used market.

I played this bass at NAMM last year, and it is amazing, and if someone doesn't buy this thing soon, I'm going to start selling body parts to pay for it. Believe me, this bass absolutely plays and sounds as good, if not better, than it looks. Man oh man, wonder what I could get for my spleen?
  5. gruuv

Jan 23, 2004

Thanks for the bump. . .
  6. Dear God!

That photo just became my background on my pc.
    Absolutly amazing!
  7. deichman

Jun 1, 2003
    I was very surprised when Gruuv let me know he was selling this bass. I don't think he would sell if he didn't have a good reason to.

This bass is awesome. After I received it, I didn't do a thing to it. Gruuv has added the Aguilar pre. Just add up what a bass like this would cost if ordered new. Of course the top is a one of a kind.

Someone snatch this bass up. You'll be reporting the same things Gruuv and I have reported. Awesome playability, wide variety of tones, and unbelieveable looks and attention to detail.

8. deichman

Jun 1, 2003

Actually, not too many hands. It went from Adrian to me. Then to Gruuv. That's not so many hands. IMO.

I sold the bass for financial reasons. I already had another bass (Roscoe) ordered. Ran in to hard times ($$$) and had to get the cash to cover the other bass as well as a couple of bills. That's basically what I HAD to do. :crying: I could have sold My Smith, or one of my Spectors, but I knew I would lose $$$ on any of those. I didn't lose one cent on the Nordstrand. :hyper: When the finances are back in shape, I'll be looking to order another Nordstrand.

9. hasadari

Jun 23, 2005
    I may have to start looking around for a new bass again!!!
  10. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    wow Erik, some sweet basses have made it through case de gruuv with in the last few months...

Trying to find the ONE?
  11. gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Hey man,

I just really, REALLY wanted to try one of Carey's basses out. But, I can't really afford to keep it, which is devastating because it's a tone/playability monster and a work of art. . . As far as the one goes, when I can afford it, I will be having Carey build me a bass. To say that this bass is impeccably constructed in every way is not hyperbole. It's unreal. . . I didn't figure I'd have a difficult time re-selling if I needed to.

Oh, and . . . . . . . . . . sale pending :bawl:

*Adrian, I understand - I went back and forth about 4 times after posting this. I got some offers, but just kept trying to figure out a way to make it work. It's wiser to sell it at this point, but I'm hoping the new owner will hang onto it and then decide to sell at exactly the time I get the finances in order to buy it back! :D Keeping my fingers crossed. . .
  12. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    oh, man, this is killing me- i had to sell the bass for financial reasons as well, otherwise this thread would not exist, believe me.
    suffice it to say, this bass is flawless and just wonderful. And i will be jealous when the new owner gets it.. and I know who it is , too. Which makes me happoy, but sad at the same time.