1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ameg b25 vs Fender Bassman

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ciubz, Jan 20, 2012.

1. ciubz

ciubz

Jan 30, 2005
    Looking for a nice clean warm tube tone for both bass and guitar. Which amp should i choose?

I also have two old 15" cts speakers, one for bass and one for guitar, should i put them into one 2x15 cab or make two separate cabs for each?

Please help me decide.

Thank you!

2. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    IMHO, the B25 is a sturdier, amplifier, and you're probably going to pay less for it than a vintage Fender Bassman (blackface or sliverface). It's tone is also different since it's EQ section is better voiced IME. Clearer in my opinion, more kick too. Just my thoughts though.
    As I recall, it's just a B15S head in a case. There are three of them on ebay as we speak. It would be nice if you could afford a V4B (100 watts) but it would be to much for those CTS speakers.

Ric

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    It's possible the speakers aren't different, but if one has a bigger magnet than the other or looks less sturdy, then it is and I'd keep them separate. The B25B is the better cab, but either of the heads would be cool. I prefer the way Ampegs operate the tone stacks, so I'd go with it, but I can't say I don't like a Bassman head on bass. Won't give you as much clean headroom, though.

4. someparts

someparts

Nov 22, 2010
    Ohio
    The B-25B loves old squareback CTS drivers assuming they are the heavier ones used in bass or organ cabs. Two of those with a B-25B is some great vintage tone and can get plenty loud.

5. Colbymck

Colbymck

Sep 17, 2008
    I own a B25B, (note that is different than the B25, which was for guitar) but I think it's some of the warmest buttery tone I've ever heard. I played a vintage Bassman a few years back, and it sounded great by itself with me playing, however, get into a band situation and it was pretty muddy. My B25B cab is a 2x15 so it has plenty of excuse to be muddy, but I haven't had too much trouble with sound on it. Actually, I get a lot of comments from sound guys afterwards. Plus, as previously stated, you can probably get a B25B a lot cheaper.

6. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Both are great.
    The B25 to me is a better live amp.
    While the Bassman records great.

7. Just saw a '64 Bassman go for $1,105 on evilBay a few days ago... Just ludacrous if you ask me.

Been watching B25 and B25B's going for $500, and V4's and V4B's for around the same mark.

And now the SVT-CL is only $1,199 on Amazon!

I hate being broke. =/

8. 1176

Jun 8, 2011
    Somerville, Mass
    seriously, not to run up the prices with this thread, but stay on your local Craigslist for awhile and you will definitely find a B-25 or V-4 for far less than the comparable Bassman, and *way* less than any of those amps cost on eBay.

incidentally, I've been playing a V-4 (fixer-upper, bought it on CL for $150, sunk some repair money into it and now it's a raging beast, for less than $400 total) into a B-25B 2x15" cab and it sounds incredible. I've spent very little time with the B-25 amp, though, and never owned one. tonal comparisons? would love to hear from foiks who are familiar with both the V-4 and B-25 amps.

9. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    Over the years I have owned all three. And, I would like to have all three back again. If I had to choose only one, I would take my V4-B back. B-25 or Bassman? Give me back the Ampeg. Bassmans are poor bass amps for playing live. (but I wish I had one sitting here, just because)

10. In the past I've owned a B25b and a V4b and for pure tone hands down IMO the B25b kicked butt....awesome sound on tape or whatever you use.....or the volume situation....

11. *subliminally whispers* bassman

12. MF_Maher

MF_Maher

Sep 5, 2009
    Central VA
    A B-25 was my first "real" amp...

13. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

I'd prefer the B25 I think.

14. Same here!

And will be the last to go.