1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amer. Dlx P V Owners - help diagnosing humbucker problem

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by KevinMG, Sep 14, 2008.

1. KevinMG

KevinMG Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2005
    Princeton, NJ
    Fellow TBers who have an American Deluxe Precision V ... I need a quick favor.

I noticed an output issue today and I think its something with the bridge humbucker. It's always been a lower output pickup but today it is noticeably lower and thinner sounding (never been overly thrilled with it's tone). I tapped on the pole pieces and I'm only hearing a click from the poles on the inner row (neck side). The bridge side was magnetized but no click when tapped.

Can someone with this bass confirm this for me before I take it into the shop? IIRC the all of the poles on the bridge pickup produced a sound when tapped.

Thanks for your help!

2. KevinMG

Jan 17, 2005
    Princeton, NJ
    So after changing the batteries, I can now hear a slight sound when the bridge side is tapped, but the neck side is definitely the stronger side. The neck side row of poles is as loud as the p-pickup when tapped for comparison. It would be great if someone with this bass could check theirs and let me know if that's just the way it is or if mine is acting up. Thanks!

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I did the tap test on mine (back when I still owned it) and not every pole made a noise; but the pattern was random, like two poles click then one pole no sound then three poles click, then two no sound, then one click, etc. The output level was strong- I did the test because it seemed to be picking up more hum than I thought it should.

4. Joshyswing

Joshyswing JoshySwing

Mar 4, 2003
    Brentwood, NY
    Endorsing Artist:TC Electronic, NYBW Bass, D'Addario Strings, GruvGear, Marelaux Bass, Xotic
    Try raising the pickup height and see if that makes a difference. It will definitely increase the output level because it's physically closer to the string but sometimes if a pickup is screwed down too low it can cause it to ground out and produce no sound at all. Try that out and see how it goes. Good luck!

5. KevinMG

Jan 17, 2005
    Princeton, NJ
    It's already raised up pretty high - within spec (3mm) or closer to the strings. Always had somewhat low output compared to the p-pickup. It seems odd that one side would produce a very audible sound in response to tapping the pole piece, but the other side is just a very light click. I don't recall it ever being like that. I'd say it feels equally magnetized though. Even on the housing itself, the inner edge responds more loudly than the bridge side when tapped. Sure hope it's not the pickup dying because these aren't easily available and the size is very non standard to replace.

6. KevinMG

Jan 17, 2005
    Princeton, NJ
    Bump... still hoping for some help here. Thanks!