Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"America is Not the World!"

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Bruce Lindfield, May 17, 2004.

1. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Just bought the (special edition) new album by Morrissey,"you are the quarry" and do really like the first few tracks - in particular I like the way it opens with this bold statement, but I wondered what our US colleagues thought about it? ;)

"America Is Not The World

America your head's too big, Because America, Your belly's too big
    And I love you, I just wish you'd stay where you is

In America, The land of the free, they said, And of opportunity, In a just and a truthful way

But where the president, Is never black, female or gay, And until that day

You've got nothing to say to me, To help me believe

In America, It brought you the hamburger, Well America you know where, You can shove your hamburger
    And don't you wonder, Why in Estonia they say, Hey you, Big fat pig
    You fat pig, You fat pig

Steely Blue eyes with no love in them, Scan The World,
    And a humourless smile, With no warmth within, Greets the world
    And I, I have got nothing, To offer you
    No-no-no-no-no
    Just this heart deep and true, Which you say you don't need

See with your eyes, Touch with your hands, please, Hear through your ears, Know in your soul, please
    For haven't you me with you now?
    And I love you, I love you, I love you, And I love you, I love you, I love you....."

2. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA

Uh, thanks?

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I still think America is the whole World. :)

4. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    Morrissey can't dislike America too much considering he's lived there for several years now... (and I wouldn't read too much into these lyrics... Morrissey's made an entire career and several million U.S. dollars from playing the 'outsider' card)

i'd imagine more people are offended by the fact that after originally being one of the greatest lyricists popular music has seen, Morrissey can't muster anything much more meaningful than 'Americans are a bit fat aren't they?'

5. odie

odie Supporting Member

6. Bruce Lindfield

Yes, but I was wondering how many copies of this album he expects to sell in the US? :meh:

7. I'm not American, so I probably don't have a say in these matters, but I do like the new Morrissey album - he really does sing better than ever, doesn't he? - including the opening track. I don't find the lyrics very provocative, though. He'll probably sell quite a few copies in the U S as well, and probably would no matter what lyrics could be found on there. Icons tend to do that.

8. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

Well, since his target audience isn't the flag waving, "you're with us or against us" crowd, I don't see his sales being affected in the least by his song. The people who bought The Smiths or Morrisey albums in the past probably agree with his sentiment, to boot.

It's a non-issue, really. He'd be lucky to have some right wing talking head take umbridge with his new tune, honestly. I don't see chubby 40-something making waves on TRL, so his best bet for sales is to stir up some controversy to get some advertising...

9. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Not that you're trying to stir anything up, of course.

10. Bruce Lindfield

Well - I bought this CD today and my first thought was - what would US TBers think about this - so I asked! ;)

Of course I thought it might provoke a bit of lively discussion - but then what would be the point of posting something that I thought wouldn't provoke any debate and was of no interest to anybody? :meh:

11. Bruce Lindfield

Yes - I like his singing on that track and it's a good tune, which sounds modern and well-arranged. But the singing is very clear and what strikes you is this kind of "anti-imperialism" if that's eth right word and I wondered if there is as much sympathy for that point of view in all other countries - although of course, it directly addresses America.

Well -as you aren't American I'm not surprised!! ;)

12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    As an American I'd like to say that I hate Hate HATE Morrisey. But I like his message in this song. Bravo.

13. Bruce Lindfield

I didn't know whether there were Americans who would agree or not....I didn't know whether Morrissey is expressing feelings that he gets from where he lives or where he was born?

So - it's like "Anti-Marketing" - deride your most likely audience and then they have to buy it, to show they aren't really the target ... he has a good go at the English and just about every UK political party on track 2 as well!! ;)

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    And for everyone's information, I highly doubt Mr. Morrisey is speaking of the entire US/every American.

15. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Well, it just seems to me that it's like starting a thread which states, "I read somewhere that Bruce Lindfield is a troll who likes to start threads he knows will piss people off".

It's a not-so-thinly veiled insult that hides behind the words of others to make its point.

(Please note, however, that I would never post something like the above. This is a purely hypothetical case.)

16. Bruce Lindfield

Well - nobody apart from you seem to be "pissed off" and there have been several interesting replies and nobody else has got personal....:meh:

But really - if we can't rib each other with a bit of humour then what is the world coming to?

This is the basis of 90% of my conversations in the real world and always raises a smile - so I know work colleagues will rib me if my football team loses and they know I'll do the same when their team plays badly - life would be very boring if we only said things that were totally inoffensive and bland....:meh:

17. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Well, you missed my point. It's not "Anti-Marketing" as it is simply "Marketing." I can't speak for Morrisey fans because I was never really into his music--although my guitar player can do a pretty frightening imersonation of him. I just don't see the people that are most likely to buy his albums to be as offended by his lyrics as say, the Toby Keith crowd. If Morrisey wrote a song called, "I want to Become an American Citizen and Eat a Giant Hamburger." Now, THAT would be Anti-Marketing.... :D

For example--I'm pretty sure that Al Franken wasn't too terribly concerned about alienating his right wing audience by choosing "Rush Limbaugh is a Big,Fat Idiot" as the title to one of his books.

I don't think it's a real leap in courage to write an anti-American Juggernaut song these days. And, honestly, I think the points he makes are fairly tame. Yes, we've never had a black, female, or gay President, but considering we've only had 43, that's not really that big of a shocker, is it? I fully expect to see a female President in my lifetime, though...

And, the idea that Americans are fat isn't exactly scandalous, either. Yes, we are a fat, corpulent nation. But, I got news for ya--Britain is starting to lose the battle of the bulge, too. :p

As for the line, "And don't you wonder, Why in Estonia they say, Hey you, Big fat pig,"--Well, the answer, of course, is "No, we don't wonder why they say that in Estonia."

Because, frankly, it's Estonia (besides--most of us couldn't find it on a map, and if you told them it was a fictional place in a Lewis Carroll book they'd tell you they loved him on "All In the Family.")

All in all, it's a pretty weak attack song, IMNSHO. I think Morrisey should really leave the America bashing to those who are best at it--Americans. :smug:

18. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Heh..your posts used to bother me, Bruce. But, once I started reading them in Stewie's voice from "Family Guy," they didn't bug me, anymore. :D

Besides--anyone who gets really bent out of shape over a new Morrisey tune really needs to relax, IMO.

19. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I hate hate Hate Morrisey too. We invented the Hamburger? I always thought it came from Hamburg. Go figure. Hey Stupid Matt, what's the deal? Your making it hard for me to find my posts.

20. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    wow, morrissey's still around? i figured he'd be lamenting his situation at a mcd's by now.