Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

America is the centre of the world!! :)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Komakino, Mar 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I never realised how true the stereotype is that Americans believe themselves to be centre of the world until today. www.washingtonpost.com have a demographics survey before you enter their site and United States of America appears no fewer than THREE times! Twice at the top of the list and once under 'U'...just in case you're not sure guys! :D

2. I'm confused, I don't see the survey. What was it?

Assuming it was a survey about their readers, why would they not cater it towards an American audience? People may read it globally, but I bet most people reading the print edition are in America.

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    are you sure that it's not listed once at the top, once in a prepopulated box, so that if you are like the majority of visitors to the washington post site (an american citizen) you don't have to select, and then once at the proper spot in the list for anything starting with "u".

this is most likely a premade html control dialog, with an option to prepopulate and to have the "likely nation of origin" at the top (out of aphabetical order) and prepopulating the box. it's not really that unusual - i worked on something similar for a canadian client that was set up the same way, and "c" isn't even that far into the list.

4. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    It is in the Canadian alphabet!;)

5. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Yes, truly, this one example surely drives the point home.

:rolleyes:

6. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

7. That's "center" of the world.

8. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Please. Everyone knows that I am the center of the world, not the USA. I just happen to live in it.

9. jitsoa33

jitsoa33 Guest

Mar 10, 2003
    lafayette, ca
    i smell something coming on...

10. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Yeah, and.........uh........since we're........uh....the only Superpower left, we've been....uh....promoted to.....uh...center of the Universe! Yeah......

....so take that!

;) ;) ;)

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes - John is right - it makes a lot of sense and ensures that it is easy for the most likely readers.

12. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Oh yeah, steal my concept why don't you? :rolleyes: :D

13. America. World's first hyperpower ?

Oh , and it's centre if you're European , ignorant Amerikan pigdog !

14. The USA can't be the centre of the universe because Scotland is :D ...the Romans even built us a nice wall to keep the rest of the riff raff out.:bag:

15. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    It wasn't to keep the riff raff out, it was to keep the Scots in! :D

16. Aye, that it be. It is the first one because it's so Americans don't have to search...but it's the first TWO in the prepopulated box and then under U in the alphabet.

I just thought it was funny, that's all.

17. It was a joke you doink.

18. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    ...or mildly dyslexic.:confused: ;)

...and maybe, just a bit of a.....commie! :eek: (i.e. "Amerikan") Hmm, Hmmmm?!?:D

19. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    whu - why. . .well, I . . .whu . . .

Double doink on you, buddy!

P.S. I can almost truthfully say I'm the center of the Universe, as all other points in the Universe are expanding away from any given point. The only thing is, I keep moving! And the center doesn't move. So how can it be that I'm still the center of the Universe?

20. That's just what we want the riff raff to believe. In fact we control the universe from a pub in Glasgow.:eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.