Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

American Active Jazz deLuxe V.....tell me more!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by De Teng, Oct 4, 2004.

1. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    I'm sure someone here can help me out. A guy quite near my place offers one secondhand for a very reasonable price. I was wondering what your experiences would be considering playability, cut-through and so on....

(by the way... it's the natural ash, maple neck)

Thanks!

2. Check out the link below, I just recorded a bunch of tunes including one called "a lasting impression" using my American Active Jazz deLuxe V without any added eq or processing. My American Active Jazz deLuxe V is a great bass that is very versatile. The new ones have the 18volt pre. In my opinion these basses can keep up with the boutique jazz type basses just fine, I owned a Mike Lull 5 string bass about a year ago so as far as comparisons go the Fender can hold it's own. The Fender's b string is pretty good, not the greatest for clarity but the definition and feel are there, the Mike Lull's b was flawless in every regard, but that bass was also twice the price of the Fender. Anyways, I bought the Fender for it's versatility and for it's overall vibe. I needed the low b and the active eq so it fit the bill. Live or for recording my Fender has proved that it is still a contender in the pro bass arena.

Cheers,
    Bassjones
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/bassjonesmusic.htm

3. The recent ones, especially, play very very well right out of the shop. I have a '98 Jazz 4 and it's a wonderful bass. Great sound, great versatility, and amazing feel. I definitely think it's a bass worth buying if you like having those tonal options. This thing cuts very well and has a tight, aggressive sound. The newer ones have an 18 volt preamp, with more headroom, and thus the sound tends to be a bit cleaner. However, I've tried em and they still have a lot of growl and bite. A treble cut can give you as warm sound and a mid cut gives you that old school slap tone. The B wasn't too bad on the one I tried, but nothing to brag about. Then again, Fenders were never known for their B's. It'll definitely do the job though.

Edit: Bassjones, your bass sounds great! Very much like mine. Which other songs are you using it on? And you use Yorkville amps? That's what I'm looking for right about now. Any info on your rig you could give me?

4. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Wow...cool sounding bass man! I know a very affordable (relatively speaking) bass which blows everything away, but half the price and you get this sound...... I'm still in a debate, but this sounds great to my ears! Thank you for feedback and providing the sounds!

5. I just bought a new model American deluxe jazz V (with the 4 over , 1 under headstock) , very nice , lots of tones , much better finish than the Mexican 5 it replaces , highly reccomend it :bassist:

6. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    I have one and like it very much. Very versatile and sturdy at the same time. A real workhorse for sure. If you don't want that natural one, can you put me in touch with the guy ?

7. Thx guys! All of the first eight tunes on my Soundclick page were done using my Fender American Active Jazz deLuxe V, recorded direct into my soundcard, no post processing what so ever.

Cheers,
    Paul

Bassjones
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/bassjonesmusic.htm