1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

American amp to Europe electric standards?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by edgaroviz, Dec 7, 2011.

1. edgaroviz

edgaroviz

Aug 8, 2011
    Israel
    Do you have to change any internal parts, or is a voltage converter is just as good?

2. my Hartke head comes with a European fuse assembly that needs to be swapped with the America one.

3. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    Depends on the amp. Some adjusts automatically (TC Electronic for example), some have an external voltage selector switch (Genz Benz), others have an internal jumper (at least some of the Markbass heads). And there are cases where you most likely will need a tech to do it.

4. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Well put.

The third route you can go is to buy a power transformer from a hardware store. They're heavy and a pain to carry, but they will convert from 110v to 210-230v.

It's encouraging to see more and more manufacturers making amps that can work with different voltages.

5. bb5000

bb5000

May 30, 2006
    Sundsvall, Sweden
    If you choose not to use a step up/down transformer:

If the amp has a SPST Power switch you should change that to DPST, maybe not an issue with modern amps, but some US tube amp kits includes the "wrong" type of power switch that may leave the power transformer connected to the "hot" lead even when the Power Switch is OFF.
    Also, mains fuse values are too high if you change from 115 to 230V and should generally be halved (for example from 4A to 2A).

6. edgaroviz

edgaroviz

Aug 8, 2011
    Israel
    The amp in question is GK 700rb, and MB200.
    Any idea what I'll have to do with these amps?

7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I'd check with GK customer service on that one. The manuals all say they're setup for it but you might have to change an internal fuse or something.

8. On my RB700-II, there are markings on the PCB for 110v and 220v wirings. So it's probably possible to convert voltage. But you will have to remove the power amp/PSU PCB, unsolder and resolder the wires. This is no trivial operation for an end-user, but that's pretty easy for a qualified technician.

9. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Edgaroviz,
    As mentioned above it's different with each different manufactures amp. Both my Walter Woods amps have a switch inside on of the cooling fins on the back of the amp. Flip the switch and you're good to go for most european voltages. The Eden WTX 550 automatically switches to match different voltages. An EA micro has internal jumpers that require a tech to go inside the amp and re configure, however EA showed Mike Arnopol how to do it himself.

Ric

10. Keep in mind that most stuff sold on the US market will only be covered under warranty in the US. By bypassing the GK distribution network in your country you are on your own if something goes wrong.