Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

American BcRich

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bass_drum, May 26, 2005.

1. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    What series is the american made bcrich basses? Doy uo guys refer to the custom shop basses when u say the made in america bcrich basses?

2. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    I think that only what the BC Rich web site calls "handcrafted" - AKA custom shop are made in USA. The rest are imports, and lots of people knock them. I used to have one, an entry level Warlock, and I thought it was pretty good for the money. I changed the pickup though.

The old American made ones are great. This is mine.

[​IMG]

3. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Handcrafted=Custom Shop=USA made

All others are imported. Yea alot of people knock the imports and I'm not quite sure why? :confused: Fender, Gibson, MTD and others import instruments and nobody seems to mind. I think alot of it has to do with their unconventional styling and the stigma of them being tied so strong to the '80s and hair metal.

I personally own two import models (see my sig) and love them. Excellent tone and greatly playability IMO. I wish I could afford a USA model but at around $2000 and up, I will be waiting a long time!

BTW, 1000th post!!!

4. What do all those knobs and switches do? :confused:

5. Dell

Dell

Apr 7, 2005
    Arn't the NJ series made in the US also?

I used to have an active NJ Beast and it sounded so good, but it was way too big so I sold it after having it about 2 years.

I had a passive Platinum mockingbird for a while too, I liked the twin split P sound and used it as my main bass up untill I got my mim jazz.

6. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Knobs:
    Master Volume
    Rhythm Pickup Volume
    Pre amp Volume (pre amp #1)
    Pre amp Volume (pre amp #2)
    Master Tone

Switches:
    Pre amp On/Off
    Pre amp On/Off
    Phase Switch
    Pickup Selector
    Six Position Varitone
    Dual Sound Rhythm Pickup
    Dual Sound Lead Pickup

7. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    I see.

But I still dont see why you guys hate bcrich nj series. I love mine, but I'm thinking of trading it for a mockingbird since the beast body is just to flippin' huge. :rollno:

~JB~

8. That bich is sick. I have a custom shop mockingbird, great instruments.

All the NJ, bronze, platinum series are imports.

9. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Who are you talking too? :p We actually have a thread about BCs going and nobody has come in to slam them...yet.

As I have already mentioned, I own two import BC's which are both NJ's. I could have bought Fender, Ric, Ibanez, Warwick, etc, etc...but I choose BC Rich.

10. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    man, i would kill to have an ignitor bass...that would straight r0x0rZz :bassist: :bassist:

11. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    You lucked out, most import BR Rich's are on the very low end of the quality scale, bordering on complete crap. A lot has to do with era though, BCR changed hands so many times, and each owner had varying ideas about the quality of instrument the company should put out.

There are some good import BCRs, but many more lousy ones. Most of the handmades are very nice, but I've played some that were no better than NJ series models.

Consistency is not the first thing I think of when I hear BC Rich.