American Beheading

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by atomic_turtle, May 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. atomic_turtle

Jun 22, 2003
    Dracut, MA
    I just saw the video of this and I'm having a hard time swallowing what I saw. Not quite sure how to take the whole thing but it was he hardest thing I ever had to watch and I am having a hard time believing humans can do this to other humans. I think Im at the point now where I feel like we should just nuke the middle east. It sounds bad and Im a fairly conservative person so Im having a hard time rationalizing my current feelings after seeing this. I dont mean to offend just needed to get this off my chest. My sympathies to Mr. Berg's Family.
  2. thrasher717

Jan 17, 2003
    North Dakota
    I wish I could "unsee" it. I really regret watching it.
  3. I agree. That was REALLY disturbing. Especially considering it wasn't easy and quick at all. *shudders* It was just REALLY disturbing!
  4. atomic_turtle

Jun 22, 2003
    Dracut, MA
    I wish it never happened so I didnt have to see it, but it did and I am so filled up with emotion after it I needed to vent a little. Mods sorry If I made a mistake for posting.
  5. I will not watch it. I know enough already.
  6. Probably the best choice.
  7. Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    I am truly sorry for keeping this going...

...but where did you see this? I don't wish to see it; I was just wondering if this is something new. Who are the Bergs? I remember seeing a video like the one you mentioned, and the name of the file had to do with the journalist Daniel Pearl that was murdered. I felt sick before the video even finished. It's hard to believe that things like that can happen in our world. :(
  8. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I'm curious....

I want to see it.
  9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Just remember two simple things:

1. It's real.

2. You can't unsee it.

No thanks.
  10. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I think it is a serious sad state of affairs when one human can do this with another. If only people could leave each other alone. Humans strive on anarchy and chaos. We create it. but why? It makes no sense!
  11. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX

This video came out yesterday or so. It's a new one and the victim was a young 26 year old civilian telecommunications contractor named Nick Berg. His executioners claimed to be acting on the commands of senior al-Qa'ida member Abu Musab al-Zarqawi. I did not watch the video and I have no desire to but I've heard chilling audio from it on the web all day. The man's screams are haunting and heartbreaking. From what I've read they read a statement claiming revenge for the Iraqi prisoner treatment and then proceeded to behead him with a large knife, all the while chanting to allah. Then they held his decapitated head up for the camera. The mental picture of all that is plenty for me.

brad cook
  12. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I cannot download that video. I just can't possibly look at something as horrible as that. It's bad enough to know that to talk anything into another country, we have to kill it's citizens. It's uncivilized and barbaric. But alas, it will probably never change.
  13. atomic_turtle

Jun 22, 2003
    Dracut, MA
    Nick Berg was an American whose beheading was video-taped and distributed via internet just recently. I heard about this today on my local am radio station. I dont watch tv. The radio program was the Tom Leykis Show. I was able to find the the video from links posted on his website. link removed - JMX

I MUST caution you that it is EXTREMELY TROUBLING and I am still not sure how to deal with it. I am having a hard time putting this out of my mind.
  14. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Keep comments like this to yourself, and this thread might actually have a chance of lasting more than 5 minutes.

Honestly, as grisly a thought as it is, it's probably a good thing if most people see it. We have become so desensitized to images of war and bad news; everybody should understand the gruesome reality of war so that we can work together to avoid it in the future.
  15. i just pictured american GIs busting in there and blasting off all their kneecaps and hands and that got it out of my mind.
  16. As disgusted as I am by this, I am equally disgusted by the torture of the Iraqi prisoners by US soldiers. That behavior is entirely inexcusable and I hope they are severely punished for their actions. Unfortunately, the promise to punish them has not been enough to appease the terror groups and now the situation in Iraq is even worse and Nick Berg has been executed in retaliation.
  17. nothing will appease the terror groups. considering the treatment of the prisoners as somehow equivalent to the treatment of Nick Berg is disgusting.
  18. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    At least those Iraqi prisoners (who are mostly in prison for attempting to kill our soldiers btw) will go home to their families at some point.

I just don't see how you can equate what was mostly humiliation tactics with slowly cutting someone's head off with a knife.

brad cook
  19. yeah i mean, being naked in front of some soldiers and getting laughed at isnt something i would wanna do but if it was that for get my head slowly cut off with with a knife i think youd know what id pick.
  20. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    It's a cultural thing there, though.

In the middle east, to kill your "enemy" is ok. After all, he is your enemy. Straightforward enough. But to humiliate your enemy and leave him with his life (prisoner abuse scandal) is unacceptable in Arab culture.

Not trying to justify anything, just trying to show that there are cultural issues that prevent the east and west from ever really understanding each other.

It was a horrible event, as so much things today seem to be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.