1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

american compared to japanese compared to mexican p basses.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jrg123, Apr 22, 2009.

1. jrg123

jrg123

Jan 10, 2007
    Tulsa
    okay, so i've played a lot of american and mexican and p basses, and there is obviously no comparison. a mexican bass might as well be a run of the mill squier. but i have never had the opportunity to play a japan bass.

how would you compare a japanese bass to an american bass? not necessarily tone, but mostly feel, but the tone is important also : )

or is it just a fancy mexican bass?

wondering because there are a lot of japanese basses on craigslist that i'm interested it.

thanks!

2. I hate you :rollno: :scowl: :spit:

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It really depends on the year and the model. Japanese Fenders have been everything from "better quality than MIA of the same year" to "fancy Mexican". I'd say on average they are better than average, and certainly better value per dollar than either MIA or MIM. But again, they have gone up and down in quality over the years, so it's not reliable to generalize.

4. Willicious

Willicious Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2008
    Bend, Oregon
    I take it you haven't played a Classic 60s Jazz.

5. southernrocker

southernrocker Banned

Apr 4, 2009
    or a 70s jazz

6. jrg123

jrg123

Jan 10, 2007
    Tulsa
    i'm talking at the oldest 90's, nothing too crazy : )

7. rcarraher

rcarraher

Dec 21, 2008
    Back in the 80's and maybe early 90s the Japan basses were every bit as good and some times better than the MIAs. Don't know about the modern ones like the Jazz 24, bt just from reading between the lines, it seems to me that they are making different model options than are available on MIA or MIM so as to probably not compete with the MIAs. IMO the MIM are pretty run of the mill and not fair to compare to either MIJ or MIA

8. Rugaar

Rugaar

Apr 11, 2007
    wisconsin
    They're referring to the MIM Classic series--50's P, 60's J and 70's J. Many around here consider them equal or better than the MIA's. And there are also some around here that feel the new MIM Road Worn series is comparable to their Custom Shop models.

It's not necessarily accurate anymore to judge the quality of a product based on where it's produced.

9. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    I bought my Geddy and the Jag because I felt they were the best value. The Jag caught my eye though and I wouldn't have bought it had it not grabbed my attention on the wall. I got my Geddy for $535 and the Jag for $600 out-the-door brand new. I consider them great values. They are not the best Fender basses I've played, but for under $1,000, it's going to be real tough to beat the MIJ bases these days.

10. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I like the neck profile of the MIA basses for their re-issues better than the MIJ/CIJs better, so most of my Precisions are MIA. I tend to like the American profile's more on most of my basses (though the 51 RI is nice)

Mexican ones are nothing special at all IMO. Their necks feel similar to Highway series necks which I don't like.

Jazz basses, I tend to like the slightly thicker profile of the Japanese ones.

11. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    For the most part, and defintiely in the 80's, IMO, Japanese Fenders are superior to all other, without a doubt in my mind.

12. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    Personally, I never cared for Fender basses until I played their Japanese Jazz models. They just simply sound and play better.