Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

American cooks - question on measurements

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by JMX, Sep 26, 2003.

1. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I finally want to tackle some recipes from my books on American cooking, and I even bought a cup and a teaspoon set for measurements.

So the question is this: Do you usually measure only up to the rim (e.g. remove the excess flour with a knife etc.) or do you just "dig in" like with a spoon of sugar for coffee?

It probably doesn't matter in most cases, but I'm curious.

TIA

[EDIT] corrected a typo

2. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I always remove excess with a knife.

3. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    If a recipe wants you to go beyond the rim, they usually ask for a "heaping" cup, tablespoon, etc.

4. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Thanks!

That was fast. :)

5. BaroqueBass

BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
    It matters with the salt. :mad: bastard salt, you always got to have it just right or your cookies turn into salty-crap-cookies that nobody wants to eat, so you gotta feed them to your dog.. grrrrr

6. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, the measuring cups are volumetric.

1 cup = 236.588 ml

Any good recipes, pass'em along!

I noticed in the hobbies thread that I'm not the only guy who likes to cook.

Never met a bass player that didn't appreciate
    a good meal!

7. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Right on!

(I'm Head Chef in my restaurant management class :D)

8. Heh. That's what I love about home-style Chinese cooking, measuring things only really makes it less tasty.
    Of course, when I was first learning to cook, I made rough measurements, but I have since gotten a feel for how much of what ingredients there need to be, and it tastes so much better. :D:p

9. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Not to mention it's always a BIG hit with the ladies ;)

10. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    what kind of bonehead question is this?

11. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    What kind of a bone head is this ^^?

12. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Well I live in a different country, if you were in Germany as a tourist, immigrant or green card worker you'd probably ask lots of bonehead questions about life in Germany.

But then you've probably never even been to a different country...

Oh, and learn to spell. It's Dave Castelo, not Costelo.

...and this from a guy whose post count is based almost entirely on bonehead topics. :spit:

13. odie

odie Supporting Member

Has your maturity lowered since you hit the books?? Really I would like to know. Not really a dig, just a concern.

14. Always make sure you don't put too much butter into your Mac&Cheese when cooking it or else it sucks and you feed it to your dog...:ninja: ~ Ty

15. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    i just felt like saying bonehead.

16. Then why didn't you? Why did you type it? So the world could see your juvenile behaviour? Well, you succeeded.

Once again.

17. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    OK so how much is a pinch? And smidge?

I hate the ones that say "add to taste" because you have to get it wrong a few times before you get it right..........

18. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

The pinch and smidge refer to dry goods such as flour or sugar.

A pinch of sugar is as much as you can hold betwixt thumb and index finger.

A smidge is the residue that is left that you have to lick off your finger after you drop the pinch of sugar in the umbrella drink you are making with a cup of lemonade.

Add rum to taste ... ;)

19. thumbtrap

thumbtrap

Jun 26, 2003
    Eww.. when sampling international cooking, I think I'd just pass on the Mac & Cheese. It's kinda like hopping on an airplane to see trailer parks, eat at McDonalds, and witness gridlock on the Los Angeles freeway, then going home to think you've seen the US.

20. FuturePrimitive

FuturePrimitive Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Rochester, NY
    I'm really curious what meals/dishes are in this cook book. I recently asked myself what defines "American cooking" and I could only come up with a few things. Other nationalities have pretty distinct cooking methods and styles. Japanese, Italian, French, Mexican, and English food is usually pretty distinct/recognizable.

As for the U.S. it seems to me the southern U.S. has the most unique and distinctly "American" foods. There are few things I can think of in the northeast and of course there is the Tex-Mex foods which is neither Texan nor Mexican but damn good regardless. Not too familiar with any uniquely American foods on the left coast though. (Anyone?)

I'd love to hear your thoughts on American foods.