Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

American Dad

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Anyone catch this tonight? I never really watch tv, so I hadn't heard about it beforehand. It was pretty great-very similar to Family Guy, one of my favorites.

2. spidersbass

spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    i just watched it, damn cartoon is funny!

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I had a few in me, and consequently thought that the preceding Simpsons episode was pretty funny.

American Dad, not so much. Big letdown. I'll just hold out for the new Family Guy episodes in March, thank you.

4. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I think that the show has great potential. Then again, I love family guy; and I don't know if it's on the exactly the same level. It was hilarious though. I think that one thing that could add is getting to know the characters and what to expect from each. I mean, the first time you watched Family Guy, were you expecting Stewie/Peter/Brian/Etc. to say things that were hilarious? But, once you know the characters and their personalities I think the show will be a lot better.

On a side note, that dog man.......

5. American Dad is made by Seth McFarlan(sp?) as far as I know.

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    a.k.a., "Captain Let's-See-How-Many-Voices-I-Can-Do-For-As-Many-Different-Characters-As-Possible-and-Slip-In-Musical-Numbers-To-Display-My-Singing-Prowess."

;)

7. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I kinda saw it (was distracted at the time). I'm surprised they let the alien say 'douchebag' on TV. :) I'll reserve final judgment until I've seen another episode or two.

8. Personally I thought both tonights Simpsons episode and American Dad were pretty awful. I don't know that I laughed at all.

9. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    I'm a big Family Guy fan, and I just wasn't as impressed with American Dad. I'll give it some time...

The Simsons wasn't that good either. :meh:

10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    There was only one momment in American Dad that made me laugh at all and I cant even remember what it was. Huge dissapointment.

Family Guy on the other hand... well lets just say that I've seen every episode so many times I laugh at the jokes before they even happen.

11. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    american dad cut out during the scene with him and his son im the barricaded office...

then it switched to the scene of a practice room... a nice tama drum set, marshall stack, ampeg etack etc...

for about 5 minutes with the camera paning around randomly

any one else get that?

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    really?

i thought AD was waaaaaaay funnier than the Simpsons. i could see half the punchlines from a mile away. crowd hating a religious family oriented halftime show? cmon... needless to say, i was sorely disappointed. just felt rehashed. kinda like the recent Halloween specials. :(

as for AD, lots of potential, but lets keep in mind that McF is only executive producer. he prolly has very little in terms of overall meat and potatoes of the writing. still, i'm sure he'll keep it in check.

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    no idea what you're talking about... might have been a glitch with your local station.

14. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    The "sneak peek" sucked nads.

15. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Ya but that room happend to jump out of the TV before the show even started, so I only had to turn my head to the left a little more while watching :).

Overall it wasn't anywhere close to Family Guy, I'm like Nick man, pretty much dissapointing; I did laugh when the alien said douchebag, good old 1 liners.

16. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Family Guy = Funny, always has been from the very first episode

American Dad = Unfunny, always has been from the very first episode

brad cook

17. Just seemed like they were "trying too hard" with American Dad. Not that great. Can't really get into the characters either.

18. I thought it sucked. I really like Family Guy.

Simpsons episode was very good, though.

19. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    I thought American Dad was ok. It isn't anywhere near as good as Family Guy but there were a few parts that I laughed at.

20. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    "You never search steve!"

"Steve isnt a left wing hippie that i tried my best to raise into a decent citizen"