1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

American Delux/American Series.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MCBTunes, Feb 12, 2005.

1. First of all, I play Rock/Punk, But I fool around with other styles aswell. I LOVE the neck on the American Series Jazz, I got to play it and compare it to the Highway one for about 10 mins, WAY better than the highway 1...Highway one is kind of muffled.

But I cant compare it to the American Delux. I want to beable to get close to the nice deep P-Bass .

Will the Deluxe do that better than the American Series(With S-1 switching), because it is active?

How many more tones can a Deluxe hit over a strait ole American series?

Take into account that I like a lot of bass tones... forinstance, if I play a Music Man Stingray, the Bass Boost almost needs to be above flat.

2. Alexander

Alexander Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I got an American Series and swapped pickups with SD Antiquity IIs. You get an amazing Jazz tone - much better than stock with more low end grunt. Engage the S-1 switch, roll off the tone about 1/3 and it nails the p-bass tone nicely. One of the big differences in tone between the jazz and precision is that one is series and one is parallel - the S-1 switching allows you to do both. The P is passive as well, so not sure adding active electronics to a jazz would give it the tone of a P. I think I've got a pretty flexible setup, which you mentioned is important, too...