Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

American Delux/American Series.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MCBTunes, Feb 12, 2005.

1. First of all, I play Rock/Punk, But I fool around with other styles aswell. I LOVE the neck on the American Series Jazz, I got to play it and compare it to the Highway one for about 10 mins, WAY better than the highway 1...Highway one is kind of muffled.

But I cant compare it to the American Delux. I want to beable to get close to the nice deep P-Bass .

Will the Deluxe do that better than the American Series(With S-1 switching), because it is active?

How many more tones can a Deluxe hit over a strait ole American series?

Take into account that I like a lot of bass tones... forinstance, if I play a Music Man Stingray, the Bass Boost almost needs to be above flat.

2. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I got an American Series and swapped pickups with SD Antiquity IIs. You get an amazing Jazz tone - much better than stock with more low end grunt. Engage the S-1 switch, roll off the tone about 1/3 and it nails the p-bass tone nicely. One of the big differences in tone between the jazz and precision is that one is series and one is parallel - the S-1 switching allows you to do both. The P is passive as well, so not sure adding active electronics to a jazz would give it the tone of a P. I think I've got a pretty flexible setup, which you mentioned is important, too...