1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

American Deluxe Jazz 5. Worth it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mike M., May 16, 2011.

1. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    Played some basses for fun this weekend, one of which was a new 5 string Fender American Deluxe model. Natural finish, active electronics, maple neck with the black block inlays. Very sexy looking bass.

This bass played fantastic! Compared to my MIM Jazz 5 the neck felt not quite as deep as on my MIM and action was lower than what I could get on mine so it played better than what I'm use to. Sounded great of what I could tell with no dead spots. Great sounds on hand, especially with the "Active/Passive" switch.

But wow...that price tag!! :eek: For those who might have this model bass does it perform above and beyond? Seems like it should for that much cash.

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    A) Don't get too caught up in how something "should" perform at a given price. Price is based on scarcity, cost of production, and what the market will bear--and has no connection whatsoever to performance.
    B) Yes, the Deluxe J5 is an excellent, excellent professional instrument.

3. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Well said.

4. MrCincinnati

MrCincinnati

Mar 6, 2011
    I can't say enough good things about mine. I bought a used 2008. Saved me nearly $1000 and I didn't have to wait 6 months for it.

5. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    $1700 is not "that high", to me, for a new bass. But, otherwise, bongomania nailed it square on the head. Is it worth it TO YOU? If so, buy it. Otherwise, don't. Either way, I suggest looking used.

6. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    Actually, the price was about $300.00 more for this particular model. Again, this one had the natural finish and the maple neck with the black block inlays.

That one line always killed me..."what the market will bear." Yeah, I'm toying with the idea. On one hand it's..."I'm single, good with money, got a good job, no credit card debt...why not?" But there's always my frugal side saying.."that's a LOT of money!"

7. Klonk

Klonk

Apr 28, 2011
    Norway
    I was GASing for one, but ended up with a Sandberg instead, the price tag on the Jazz bass being a reason amongst others. Seems like a great bass, though.

8. faulknersj

faulknersj Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    I own about 5 Jazz basses , including a Custom Shop Jazz, and a 73' Jazz, and I am am truly blown away by my 2011 Olympic Pearl Fender Am. Delux Jazz every time I gig with it. The cunstruction quality, attention to detail, new Pre-Amp and N3 pickups are going to make this one of the classic Fender Jazzes for years to come imo.

9. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    Now I'm REALLY tempted! Unfortunatley I can't make it back to the store until this coming weekend. But when I go back and if it's still there......we'll see.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yes.

11. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    Absolutely. The MIA Deluxe Jazz is one of the nicest basses to come along in years, especially at such a low price point.

12. The authorized advertised street price on this (Musician's Friend, GC, etc) is $1799. You may or may not be able to do better locally, but I don't think you should have to pay more than that.

I went through the same mental/fiscal debate with myself, but justified it partially by realizing I could buy it, play it for months or years, and get most of my money back when I (or my heirs) sell it. It's beautiful.