1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

American Deluxe Jazz Bass Thoughts Questions.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by growler571, Oct 26, 2009.

1. growler571

growler571

Sep 19, 2007
    Hello fellow bassists. Do any of you folks own an older American Deluxe Jazz Bass> I have a 97 model year and i feel the output is rather weak, even with new duracell 9 volt I have to vave the volume on the bass all the way up. I have the Suhr Electronics in mind. I used it at a gig again recently and find that it just does not fill the room and support the band like my American Precision does. I have to turn the amp quite a bit farther up it seems to get the same volume as my Passive American Precision. Does anyone else feel this way about their American Deluxe Jazzes? Please tell me what you think about yours if you have the old Suhr Preamp and Pickups in yours. Comments are also welcome to how the newer models with the samarium cobalt puickups compare to the older Suhr models.

2. Marton

Marton

Sep 20, 2005
    Quebec
    Don't know about the old models, but I have 2 of the new generation, and can't stand the preamp in these basses, I changed one and I'm checking for changing the other.

3. Marshbass

Marshbass

Dec 7, 2006
    Australia
    I have the 96 American Deluxe Jazz and i'm fairly happy with it. I wouldn't consider the output to be especially low... I have swapped the original pickups for SCN from a newer deluxe and am pretty happy with tone, no real difference in output though. I'm gassing for a Marcus Miller Jazz at the moment though so I might be moving it on.

Here's a pic! Other mods are a Hipshot detuner and a Badass III bridge.

P1020696.

4. I have a 2006 US Del J 5 and love it although even with the 18volt pre it still has less output at full volume than my Warwick streamer 9 volt pre. With single coils I think with both pickups on full (blend knob at 12 oclock) then the output does dim slightly - try giving the blend towards the neck 1 or 2 notches - I really like the tone it provide too - a little more robust.

5. BbBlues

BbBlues

Jan 6, 2008
    Saratoga, NY
    I own a 1990 jazz bass plus which I believe was the model that became the American deluxe. I find it's output a bit lower then my other jazz basses. I am thinking of new pu but I'm not sure what is compatible with the kubicki preamp.

6. I have a 98 US jazz deluxe, Suhr electronics and it rocks. No problem with volume!

7. atrapp

atrapp

Dec 4, 2006
    Taichung, Taiwan
    My 98 has plenty of output...

8. I had a 97 Jazz Deluxe V US ( recently stolen) and I had similar issues with the pickups. Do you have issues with volume levels on individual strings? or with the blend pot at it's neutral position?

I notice a few months ago my D string signal seemed "dead" with a 50/50 blend (neutral). With a slight adjustment to neck P/U or bridge P/U, problem seemed solved, but it was still annoying. I guessed it was just time for new pickups, after 12 years.

Unfortunately, she's gone now. Hopefully, the problem worsened for the scumbag who has her now.

9. MY 99 V US has a lot of output.